NutritionBroccoli Sprouts and Sulforaphane

Vandevalk1

Re: Broccoli Sprouts and Sulforaphane

Post by Vandevalk1 »

p75213 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm How many mason jars do you need for a continuous supply? Also how much do you take?
you can buy sprouting jars on amazon, which are about twice the size of a large mason jar. this is what I use and I have a continuous supply to use every day.

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:24 pm
NewLifeScience wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 pm
p75213 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 am Hopefully the quality of supplements has improved since the video was made in 2017. I notice many manufacturers state the percentage of sulforaphane as either 0.3% or 0.4%. I've just ordered some as a sirtuin activator.
I hear you, 2 years can mean a LOT OF CHANGE..

but since the sprouts have like 100-500x that of regular broccoli, maybe growing them is a good way to consume them.
I grow my own. its cheap and very simple. Dr. Rhonda Patrick also recommends freezing them as this amplifies the abundance of sulforaphane even more so!
Wow this sounds like the perfect supplement,

I have never heard of this substance before... but on this forum that list is growing :)
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Just got my order of sprouts. I will set them up in mason jars in the next few days.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

So, is Sulforaphane thought to be a Sirtuin activator?
MatthewCollins

Post by MatthewCollins »

an inhibitor of the enzymatic activity of sirtuins is nicotinamide.
Diet is an attempt to eat calories instead of food.
p75213

Post by p75213 »

MatthewCollins wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am an inhibitor of the enzymatic activity of sirtuins is nicotinamide.
Does NAM inhibit Sirt1? This paper argues that while it is an inhibitor invitro this imay not be the case invivo.

"once administered to cells, NAM is rapidly converted to NAD+ and, therefore, the cellular concentration of NAM decreases rapidly while that of NAD+ increases. The result would be an inhibition of SIRT1 for a limited duration, followed by an increase in the activity."

"To understand better the effects of cellular administration of NAM, we reviewed published literature in which treatment with NAM was used to inhibit SIRT1 and found that the expected inhibitory effect of NAM was either unreliable or muted in many cases. In addition, studies demonstrated NAM administration stimulates SIRT1 activity and improves the functions of cells and organs."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5471864/

This says that while it is a sirt1 inhibitor at larger concentrations at 5mM it is an activator.

"In the cells pulsed with 5 mM NAM, cellular NAD+ concentration increased by close to 40% in 12 h, and this increase was maintained throughout the 21 days of the investigation."

"NAM at 5 mM but Not at Higher Concentrations Causes the Activation of SIRT1 and the Decrease of Mitochondrial Content"

"NAM at a 10 or 20 mM dose caused an increase of [NAD+] to the levels almost identical to that in the cells treated with 5 mM NAM but resulted in an inhibition of SIRT1 activity during the early time period."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5471864/

It seems the sensible thing would be to aim for a concentration of 5mM.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

This is a great tip! I've ordered some broccoli seeds too and a multi-layered sprouting kit. I will be juicing them in my Omega masticating juicer.

I wonder how much more (or less) sulforaphane you can get from eating the sprouts vs taking the capsules? Anyone know?
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Lol i bought a package of sprouts... months ago.

The package stands a good chance of sitting there for a year undisturbed.

I will try to get to it..

:)
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I have been sprouting myself for the last 9 months - once you get the hang of it is not too much effort (but still is another thing to do!). The other option is Broccoli Sprout powder, I typically mix 1 to 1.5g of powder AND fresh (or frozen) sprouts in my smoothie plus take powder shots or capsules when not. Best one I could find is powder from these guys: https://www.cellogic.com.au also have a USA presence: https://cell-logic-usa.com/

Some online sellers do have the product a little cheaper.
zmm

Post by zmm »

Rhonda Patrick has a lot of info on this, and how much to eat if you want to grow them.

as far as supplement options, her favorite is Prostaphane (which you can only get in france (or ebay)) which is the only one that gives actual suforaphane.
Otherwise, she says to go with avmacol (which is a precursor) which has been used in the clinical trials
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic