NutritionThere is no evidence that a low salt diet can be beneficial in anyway

daviddean

There is no evidence that a low salt diet can be beneficial in anyway

Post by daviddean »

Here is an interesting speech by Dr. Jason Fung that a low-salt diet can increase the risk of mortality and cardiovascular disease.

There is no evidence that a low salt diet can be beneficial in anyway.

On the contrary, in the studies cited by Dr. Fung, it increases the risk of cardiovascular disorders and the mortality rate, due to the increase in some hormones, such as aldosterone and adrenaline. Fung points out that some scientific studies lead to wrong conclusions. The fact that there is a correlation between an increase in salt intake and an increase in blood pressure, this does not mean that there is a concomitant increase in the risk of cardiovascular damage.
Here is the link to the Fung’s Speech, really illuminating and must see…
https://youtu.be/1MON2YWDrS4

Fred

Re: There is no evidence that a low salt diet can be beneficial in anyway

Post by Fred »

That headline is eye-catching for sure. Not true, but eye-catching. As often with nutrition it's complicated, but also not that complicated.

A LOWER salt diet can be beneficial for SOME but not ALL in the population. Common lifesaving hypertension drugs work by their diuretic action, purging excess sodium ions and a DASH diet can also lower blood pressure.

But not everyone needs a lower salt diet. I had to increase my intake because of orthostatic hypotension -dizzy spells when standing up to fast.
Last edited by Fred on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
FitandHealthyinAZ

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ »

For a healthy heart, it's important not to eat too much salt but then again too much of anything is never a good idea. The flip side of not enough sodium content in our diet can lead to weight gain, chronic kidney disease, elevated bad cholesterol and increased blood pressure and heart rate.

daviddean, thank you for the cutting edge post as getting enough salt is critical for our longevity. The New England Journal of Medicine indicates that sodium helps to regulate nerve contractions, nerve transitions, muscle contractions and facilitates the uptake of glucose into tissue and muscle. I'm thinking that instead of focusing on a single nutrient like sodium, perhaps if we focus on altering how we eat in general as it relates to the three major causes of death: hypertension, cardiovascular disease and stroke maybe we can increase longevity?
Newage

Post by Newage »

Thank you for your post daviddean and the effort you put into finding the articles..
Much appreciated. :D
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:02 pm That headline is eye-catching for sure. Not true, but eye-catching. As often with nutrition it's complicated, but also not that complicated.

A LOWER salt diet can be beneficial for SOME but not ALL in the population. Common lifesaving hypertension drugs work by their diuretic action, purging excess sodium ions and a DASH diet can also lower blood pressure.

But not everyone needs a lower salt diet. I had to increase my intake because of orthostatic hypotension -dizzy spells when standing up to fast.
Well said, Fred!
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

unless you are told by your physician that you must reduce sodium intake, i agree.
Fred

Post by Fred »

OzSport wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:02 pm That headline is eye-catching for sure. Not true, but eye-catching. As often with nutrition it's complicated, but also not that complicated.

Well said, Fred!
Thank you OzSport!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic