Healthy Aging News and ResearchEvidence for Cycling Supplements

jocko6889

Evidence for Cycling Supplements

Post by jocko6889 »

Dr. Sinclair has recently been mentioning he thinks it is a good idea to cycle supplements.

In this interview, Geoffrey at HVMN asks some interesting questions in this interview with Sinclair.

At 45:12 - Sinclair says they have research that shows every other day resveratrol worked better than every day in mice.

Just before that he was talking about his philosophy in general that constantly changing things up is a good idea so the body doesn't just adapt to a routine. Whether that is exercise, nutrition or supplements.

The topic has been of more interest lately as some research shows Metformin may impair athletic performance. Dr. Sinclair is a big proponent of Metformin and now says he does not take it on days he will exercise a lot.

It would be interesting to ask him if he is considering changing his daily intake of resveratrol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPnpIcHXB4

Newage

Re: Evidence for Cycling Supplements

Post by Newage »

jocko6889 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:34 pm Dr. Sinclair has recently been mentioning he thinks it is a good idea to cycle supplements.

In this interview, Geoffrey at HVMN asks some interesting questions in this interview with Sinclair.

At 45:12 - Sinclair says they have research that shows every other day resveratrol worked better than every day in mice.

Just before that he was talking about his philosophy in general that constantly changing things up is a good idea so the body doesn't just adapt to a routine. Whether that is exercise, nutrition or supplements.

The topic has been of more interest lately as some research shows Metformin may impair athletic performance. Dr. Sinclair is a big proponent of Metformin and now says he does not take it on days he will exercise a lot.

It would be interesting to ask him if he is considering changing his daily intake of resveratrol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPnpIcHXB4
Thanks jocko
It may just reinforce the fact that it is a good idea to have one or two days off a week from all supplements...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks jocko.

This area of research is lacking. I can´t come up with a single supplement that is proven to be better to cycle than to take daily. In Chinese medicine you take certain herbal combinations as drugs for a finite period. That would be an example, but not of cycling really. But more like how you would use an antibiotic.

NAD-precursors COULD be one supplement where maybe two days off could be beneficial if there are too many methylated metabolites produced and found in the urine. OR perhaps a lowering of the daily dose would suffice. I´m just speculating here.

There was a belief in the bodybuilding that cycling creatine was beneficial due to "downregulation" of creatine transporters after a couple of weeks of supplementation. That downregulation only came as the muscle tissue got saturated.

I think that belief came from the bodybuilders experience in cycling steroids, which was necessary.

It turned out that cycling creatine was neither necessary or beneficial. All they had to do was lower their daily dose from 10 g to 3-5 g depending on their weight and when their muscles were saturated with creatine. I take 5 g daily and I don´t think any well-read bodybuilder or longevity enthusiast take days off creatine.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

This cycling phenomenon has been discussed a lot on multiple threads and I have always asked for some research that back it up. Thanks for finally producing an article. Unfortunately, I agree with Fred on this one. I have been using and prescribing supplements for a couple decades now and have never issued a cycling order. Dosing may be imperative and in many of my posts I have offered this advice on a regular basis. Although further research may show that NAD/NMN need to be cycled in order to provide consistent results at this time I am staying with consistent dosing.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I think skipping 2 days per week is not drastic enough to have a detrimental effect. I think rotating your supplements (I am taking 7 now) shouldn't hurt.
Taytaytay195

Post by Taytaytay195 »

The basis for which I cycle my nmn with metformin and take a day off each week from all supplements is it just feels right for me. I personally have found I get a "stagnet" feeling after a couple months of constant supplementation.
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 »

My interest in ABN products at 79 is to stay alive, Pickleball fit ,and healthier than I was before taking them.
The "Magic" entrance level for results of 500 mg daily dosage of NMN/NAD+ combo has worked well for me in all
3 areas. When I am anticipating or need more stamina, I temporarily go above these levels, with decided effects.
However, there is no slumping drug effect by dropping below the "magic 500 mg daily dosage. Just more life to
cope with. There is No Question , in MHO that these products are enhancing my life style, with performance and
a sense of wholeness that I last felt twenty years earlier. They may well have a greater effect on me than someone
1/2 my age. But there is One thing for certain, I'm not interested in micro managing my body. Just let it do it's thing.
It's always told me what it needed, and I've answered. That's what has gotten me here, on my way to a 100.
Ben, 79 250 mg daily of NMN sl / NAD+ powder, 1200 Resveratrol daily
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

This is an interesting topic but one that lacks serious research. You all know that I am very open minded and think that each person should decide where they are on the path in life. I do want to make one point. If you are taking thyroid medication or cholesterol medication then why don't you cycle those? Why doesn't the body get use to these products? If NAD+ is as powerful as I think it is and is involved in all the cascades that I think we will find then the body needs NAD+ everyday to efficiently run all these mechanisms. So if you stop taking the supplement for 1-2 days what happens when the quantity drops in the body?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic