NAD+To Medical Pros Re. NAD+ Nicotine Addiction IV Alternative

Deven

To Medical Pros Re. NAD+ Nicotine Addiction IV Alternative

Post by Deven »

Hi all,

I've been using Alive By Nature's NAD+/NMN products off and on for a couple of years. I've read extensively about NAD+ for a long while, especially in regards to addiction clinics and infusions.

I've been addicted to chewing tobacco for thirty+ years and I strongly believe it is causing me severe hypoglycemia at this point, and other health problems. I imagine due to nicotine's effect on insulin resistance, etc. So, I need to quit a powerful addiction and hopefully with less withdrawals. I'm hoping NAD+ might be the ticket.

Where I live there are no NAD+ type IV addiction or nutrition clinics and nobody seems to want to offer this IV drip when I've asked. Long distance travel to a clinic is not an option due to other health restraints. (Severe anxiety attacks, etc.) I've also considered getting NAD+ patches prescribed which I could do locally.

However, if Alive By Nature's products could equal or come close to IV/Patches using high doses, obviously it would be easier, especially in my rural location. So, I wondered if any of the medical pros who might be on this board could offer some opinions on the best way to emulate IV for this purpose using any mix and match of ABN's products? Or, if advising on this forum for this purpose is not appropriate, who could I reach out to for an over the phone paid for consultation, if possible?

Thank you,

Deven

Newage

Re: To Medical Pros Re. NAD+ Nicotine Addiction IV Alternative

Post by Newage »

Welcome to the forum Deven.
In my opinion Drdavid would be your “go to” for advice. He is very compassionate and understanding of forum members issues.
Hopefully he will see your post or you could reach out to him by way of private message.
Your post is very transparent and I believe he will be very understanding.
Good luck with your issues and we will all help with contributing advice whenever we can...👍
Deven

Post by Deven »

Thanks Newage, I appreciate it!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Deven wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 pm I've read extensively about NAD+ for a long while, especially in regards to addiction clinics and infusions.
Hi Deven,

I´ve searched the literature carefully for any trials involving NAD-replenishment and addiction but there are no human clinical trials using IV NAD to treat addiction. There are no mechanisms presented on how NAD repletion would treat addiction either. No theory with animal studies to support it, so I really don´t know where the IV NAD for addiction idea comes from.

We have many alcohol addicted patients coming into our hospital with ascites and cirrhosis. None of our doctors use IV NAD to treat their addiction or refer them to any centers for NAD treatments.

So what you are left with are anecdotal evidence and marketing material. Sorry that there´s no scientific evidence. I´m not saying you shouldn´t try it...or that you should. Just saying there are no human data showing NAD works to treat any form of addiction.

I wish you the best of luck in treating your nicotine addiction whatever you may choose to try. Perhaps cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) where there is evidence of success can be of help to you.
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:02 am
Deven wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 pm I've read extensively about NAD+ for a long while, especially in regards to addiction clinics and infusions.
Hi Deven,

I´ve searched the literature carefully for any trials involving NAD-replenishment and addiction but there are no human clinical trials using IV NAD to treat addiction. There are no mechanisms presented on how NAD repletion would treat addiction either. No theory with animal studies to support it, so I really don´t know where the IV NAD for addiction idea comes from.

We have many alcohol addicted patients coming into our hospital with ascites and cirrhosis. None of our doctors use IV NAD to treat their addiction or refer them to any centers for NAD treatments.

So what you are left with are anecdotal evidence and marketing material. Sorry that there´s no scientific evidence. I´m not saying you shouldn´t try it...or that you should. Just saying there are no human data showing NAD works to treat any form of addiction.

I wish you the best of luck in treating your nicotine addiction whatever you may choose to try. Perhaps cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) where there is evidence of success can be of help to you.
Fred,

You are correct there have been no RCT studies for NAD+in humans.

There are a few old studies that seem to show efficacy, but not controlled in any way. I'll have to go search for those.

NAD+ has been very successful in treating thousands of patients for addictions. You can call it anecdotes, but it wouldn't have so many people spending so much money and continuing to return for treatment if it had no effect.

Chinese and Indian medicine have known about products for thousands of years that you can say aren't proven. Then we do the studies and agree that curcumin, green tea and such do have benefits.

Just because something hasn't yet been tested in RCT studies is not proof of whether it works or not.

For the record, we don't focus on addiction treatment in our NAD+ clinic, and don't accept patients with drug addictions, so don't have personal experience in that niche.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ALIVEBYNATURE wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm Fred,

You are correct there have been no RCT studies for NAD+in humans.

Just because something hasn't yet been tested in RCT studies is not proof of whether it works or not.

I never said whether IV NAD works or doesn´t in the treatment of addiction. I told the poster there have been no human clinical studies proving OR disproving IV NAD to treat addiction.

Thank you for having me clarify that and a Happy New Year to the ABN-team.
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

Here's one of the old papers on NAD+ IV for addiction, from 1961.

(NAD+) Diphosphopyridine Nucleotide in the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Drug Addiction

DPN = old name for NAD+
The author has previously reported the successful use of DPN in the treatment of acute and chronic alcoholism. In the administration of nearly 1000 Gm. to more than 100 patients there has been no toxic effect whatsoever; from the coenzyme DPN in its oxidized form, when administered at a speed tolerated by the patient.

The author is optimistic for several reasons about the use of the coenzyme, diphosphopyridine nucleotide, in the treatment of drug addiction. First, the treatment permits the complete, immediate and permanent withdraw3al of addictive drugs without the patient experiencing the ‘agony of withdrawal’ previously described. Thus, the physician desiring to treat the addicted patient does not need to ‘traffic’ in addictive drugs as was previously necessary with the gradual withdrawal technic. This removes the onus and possible stigma to the physician for helping these sick people.

This attitude of fear prompted Russo to write as follows: “There is no courage in the habit of outright refusal (on the part of the physician) to treat drug addicts. Some form of reeducation is due all doctors who feel they can turn on addicts and shoo them out of the office like unwanted animals. We owe it to the medical profession itself to bring this sad state of circumstances into clearer understanding and care, that these patients have at least an equal chance to get well as to get caught... At the present time there is no positive way to help in the hoped-for cure.”

The coenzyme treatment makes available to the physician a ‘positive way’ to help in the hoped-for cure.
Another advantage is that because of the rapid manner in which the coenzyme removes the physiologic symptoms of addiction, the therapist can readily ‘screen’ out those patients suffering from gross personality or character disturbance, from the unfortunate individuals whose addiction followed protracted utilization of some drug for the relief of physical pain. It si sincerely hoped that such screening will help to clarify such positive statements as that made4 by Williams who writes “...emotional disorders are almost without exception the cause, or a major contributing factor, in drug dependence.”

This certainly has not been the author’s experience in the treatment and management of 11,000 alcohol addicts, where disturbed neuro-physiological response to alcohol has been shown to be the major cause in the vast majority of cases, with emotional disorders playing a secondary role. Additional evidence of this disturbed neurophysiology was demonstrated by electroencephalographic studies done in connection with coenzyme therapy. It is possible that such disturbed neuro-physiology could play the major role in drug addiction. If not, why the dramatic effect of the coenzyme? Time and objective analysis alone will tell. In any event, the author has found that the coenzyme, by removing the craving and the symptoms of withdrawal, greatly enhances the possibility of successful psychotherapy in those patients possessing personality or character disturbances.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you. So that begs the question, why just one paper in 60 years? If it is a good treatment for addiction where is the human data? Where are the clinical trials?

So the same conclusion stands: there are no human clinical trials showing that IV NAD is effective in the treatment of addiction. Such trials needs to be done to prove or disprove any effect.
Deven

Post by Deven »

I own this book below and really enjoyed it. It's great info for others who might be looking at NAD+ for addiction withdrawal support and/or mental health issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Addiction-Dark-N ... B07MZP7H6N

More pages to trial here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=t7qED ... pe&f=false

For my own N=1 study, I've been off nicotine for nearly 48 hours as of right now.

For 30+ years, I chewed a can a day and have quit many times over the years and not succeeded.

Because my nicotine induced hypoglycemia/insulin resistance has gotten so severe, I must quit now, or risk dying.

As of lately, all I have to do is place one tiny chew in my mouth and my body will turn hypoglycemic within minutes. I believe it's also an allergic/sensitive body response to tobacco.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2017/fe ... 25901.html

The withdrawal symptoms caused by stopping heavy chew/nicotine use in the past were quite unbearable. Per the above book and other addiction clinic treatment info, (like Ken Starr's Wellness Group, etc.) I hoped for NAD+ to stop/lessen those withdrawals.

So far, I've been using ABN's, NMN and NAD+ 240 count tablets, and letting them sit between my lip and gum like a chew and dissolve for quite a while. I've been taking loosely what I feel would be the equivalent dose in sublingual tablets, considering their bio-availability, to match the general 1-2 grams IVs that I believe are used in recovery clinics. Tons of guesswork. I've not died of NAD+ overdose yet... Lol.

The results so far are, my nicotine withdrawal effects, both physical and mental, AND my food/sweet cravings thus far are minimal. Much better than previous times I've quit. If it's placebo, then it's mighty powerful placebo.

It's also worth noting however, that as of recently, I am on a 90% meat/carnivore diet, of which the high fats is also supposed to balance the brain and make you crave less sweets, etc. This diet may be swaying the results of NAD+. I can't be sure.

In just two days off nicotine, my hypoglycemic symptoms are considerably less if any. I just don't want to test this too hard and not eat for a long while, or have a high carb meal.
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

Yes, we need clinical trials.

One single day safety test was just published this September.

A one week study has been completed that was reviewed in this paper, but not yet published.

I know of a couple more in progress, but those aren't for addiction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic