Miscellaneous TopicsScary News: Sister has liver failure

smokinjoe

Scary News: Sister has liver failure

Post by smokinjoe »

Hi,
I know this forum is not about diseases per se, but i just wanted to see if there were any helpful suggestions in this helpful community.

My sister is going to die of liver failure in the next 3-4 months unless she gets a live donor. We are in a large family so there are already volunteers to get tested for suitability.

I will be bringing her boiled veggies like broccoli and carrots, fresh bell peppers and cucumber and fruits like strawberry and blueberries , orange juice and apple juice. This is to supplement or even replace hospital food.

I will get her into a wheel chair (she can't walk) and moving, and maybe we'll try bed exercises... and breathing exercises. Basically if she can stay at her current level of health (bed ridden but not declining rapidly) as long as possible she would be fit for a transplant.

I of course have considered giving her NMN or NAD+ but i am too new to this stuff to play with fire. If i was 100% positive it was safe, i would give it to her.. but she essentially has 99% liver failure so we can't afford to make a mistake.

Drdavid

Re: Scary News: Sister has liver failure

Post by Drdavid »

Sorry to hear about your sister. Unfortunately we dont know enough yet to make these decisions. With her liver failure being so significant and the fact that she is on the transplant list makes the decision even more difficult. We know that NAD+ can help with fatty liver disease. I have attached an article from Medical News that may provide a little more information. Providing her with all the appropriate information and possible complications would allow her to make a decision that is based on her desires. I wish you and your family well being.

Anti-aging molecule' could improve liver and kidney treatments
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323496.php#1
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Thanks Dr. David

I have reconsidered my position on the matter. Canada has inconsistent rules about Liver transplants... so it will be a considerable wait for my sister, and when looked at that way, there is not a lot to lose. She may well die long before the transplant option is there for her - so i want her to get stronger, and possibly reclaim some of the tissue she has damaged.

She is only 56 and I of course will fight for an early transplant but the sobering truth is... there is a long line... even with willing related donors, there are protocols that may delay this live-saving surgery for months.

I am totally open to opinions but i think NMN or NR would be a safe supplement to take. It is not like we are feeding a virus or bacteria or even yeast. We are looking to restore tissue.So we wouldn't be 'feeding the enemy within', as it were

I am not going to do this as of yet, I am going to try to achieve a similar result via diet.

I am open to suggestions as to what is best, but she will be getting the best antioxidants available and possibly any natural Sirtuin activators i can get my hands on.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Hey Joe

Hey I am really sorry you are going through this. I wish nothing but the best for your sister.

I agree totally with your idea about the dietary route. Essentially the foods you are talking about are going to be of benefit.

I am NOT a doctor, so please understand I am just thinking and writing as a lay person who reads about this stuff:

Eating bright or dark skinned berries, veggies, and fruits will be the safest safe route. And i'd just be up front and ask the doctor about NMN or NR variations of Niacin and get his/her opinion. As a healthy person, i take these fearlessly, but for a very sick person, the 'natural route' may be the best course, and bring you to the same destination.

You may want to talk to the doctor about supplements green tea capsules, blueberry concentrate capsules, and black berry concentrate. They are largely dry powdered concentrates of the their titles. You would just want a trustworthy source.

My sincere wishes for your sister's recovery.
Deven

Post by Deven »

https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/09/16/how- ... -jeff-cyr/

"Then in November of 2011 everything changed in my life you could say everything came crashing down. After a series of blood work -ultrasound-cat scan and finally a liver biopsy I was diagnosed with an auto-immune fatal liver disease called primary sclerosing cholangitis. This liver disease attacks the bile ducts of the liver slowly plugging up the bile ducts where bilirubin and bile can no longer get through. This eventually causes cirrhosis of the liver leading to total liver failure. The only cure would be to get a liver transplant. I was told all this by my liver doctor and told that once diagnosed people live on average 8-10 years. Told there was no medicine nothing could be done. I suppose He was expecting me to go home sit down in my lazy boy and wait to die."

The above link discusses liver disease and what he did to resolve it.

I shudder a bit when I see all the plants you are wanting to give. I say that because, like many people now days, who have weakened gut flora, etc., due to our modern lifestyles, I react to many plant foods and their natural toxins, some severely. The zero carb diet is helping me for this reason to un-inflame my body. I have zero reaction to meat.

Well, it's a tough sell, but consider reading more about zero carb and why it is helping so many people cool their inflammation and/or disease.
Fred

Post by Fred »

smokinjoe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 pm I am open to suggestions as to what is best, but she will be getting the best antioxidants available and possibly any natural Sirtuin activators i can get my hands on.

First do no harm. Please check any herbal or other dietary supplements with her treating physician and the online LIVERTOX Database (link below).

For example, green tea extracts have caused acute liver failure necessitating a liver transplant for some people taking a mixed weight loss supplement. Same with Garcinia Cambogia herbal extracts. High dose vitamin B3 in the form of nicotinic acid can also cause hepatotoxicity.

I wouldn´t put strain on a damaged liver by taking xenobiotic compounds like herbal extracts foreign to the body in supplemental form. Most plant extracts get conjugated or in other ways detoxified by the liver.

Best wishes

"LiverTox® provides up-to-date, unbiased and easily accessed information on the diagnosis, cause, frequency, clinical patterns and management of liver injury attributable to prescription and nonprescription medications and selected herbal and dietary supplements.

The LiverTox site is meant as a resource for both physicians and patients as well as for clinical academicians and researchers who specialize in idiosyncratic drug induced hepatotoxicity."

https://guides.nnlm.gov/tutorial/livertox
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 pm
smokinjoe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 pm I am open to suggestions as to what is best, but she will be getting the best antioxidants available and possibly any natural Sirtuin activators i can get my hands on.

First do no harm. Please check any herbal or other dietary supplements with her treating physician and the online LIVERTOX Database (link below).

For example, green tea extracts have caused acute liver failure necessitating a liver transplant for some people taking a mixed weight loss supplement. Same with Garcinia Cambogia herbal extracts. High dose vitamin B3 in the form of nicotinic acid can also cause hepatotoxicity.

I wouldn´t put strain on a damaged liver by taking xenobiotic compounds like herbal extracts foreign to the body in supplemental form. Most plant extracts get conjugated or in other ways detoxified by the liver.

Best wishes

"LiverTox® provides up-to-date, unbiased and easily accessed information on the diagnosis, cause, frequency, clinical patterns and management of liver injury attributable to prescription and nonprescription medications and selected herbal and dietary supplements.

The LiverTox site is meant as a resource for both physicians and patients as well as for clinical academicians and researchers who specialize in idiosyncratic drug induced hepatotoxicity."

https://guides.nnlm.gov/tutorial/livertox
Thank you Fred
I was waiting for you, but didn't want to pressure you. Thank you! I will get educated.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Deven wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:34 am https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/09/16/how- ... -jeff-cyr/

"Then in November of 2011 everything changed in my life you could say everything came crashing down. After a series of blood work -ultrasound-cat scan and finally a liver biopsy I was diagnosed with an auto-immune fatal liver disease called primary sclerosing cholangitis. This liver disease attacks the bile ducts of the liver slowly plugging up the bile ducts where bilirubin and bile can no longer get through. This eventually causes cirrhosis of the liver leading to total liver failure. The only cure would be to get a liver transplant. I was told all this by my liver doctor and told that once diagnosed people live on average 8-10 years. Told there was no medicine nothing could be done. I suppose He was expecting me to go home sit down in my lazy boy and wait to die."

The above link discusses liver disease and what he did to resolve it.

I shudder a bit when I see all the plants you are wanting to give. I say that because, like many people now days, who have weakened gut flora, etc., due to our modern lifestyles, I react to many plant foods and their natural toxins, some severely. The zero carb diet is helping me for this reason to un-inflame my body. I have zero reaction to meat.

Well, it's a tough sell, but consider reading more about zero carb and why it is helping so many people cool their inflammation and/or disease.
Thank you Deven, I verty much appreciate your input and this link. I am going to keep to berries, veggies and fruits.

Wierd thing... my sister hadn't eaten properly in 3 weeks (couldn't keep food down), definitely less than 500 calories. She is currently eating 3 meals a day and since i first posted this... she is even walking with a walker (could not walk 2 steps for about 10 days).

I am going to do everything i can to help my sister stay around. She is too sweet for me not to. There is no one in the family i can (or should) speak with about this stuff so i am grateful to be able to here.
Fred

Post by Fred »

smokinjoe wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:35 pm Thank you Fred
I was waiting for you, but didn't want to pressure you. Thank you! I will get educated.
Thank you smokinjoe for your trust and kind words. Glad to hear that you will approach this serious situation conservatively and with evidence-based real medicine. This is no time to experiment with pseudoscientific quackery like "pulsed electromagnetic fields" or sham "liver flushes" or "parasite cleanses". The wrong dietary supplement can cause idiosyncratic hepatotoxicity and drive her to acute liver failure. I hope she gets the transplant and can recover with a new undamaged liver.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Sorry to hear about your sister smokinjoe.
She is in the hands of qualified“medical doctors”
leading into transplant and hopefully the best guidance to you will be given by them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic