Miscellaneous TopicsScary News: Sister has liver failure

Drdavid

Re: Scary News: Sister has liver failure

Post by Drdavid »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 pm
smokinjoe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 pm I am open to suggestions as to what is best, but she will be getting the best antioxidants available and possibly any natural Sirtuin activators i can get my hands on.

First do no harm. Please check any herbal or other dietary supplements with her treating physician and the online LIVERTOX Database (link below).

For example, green tea extracts have caused acute liver failure necessitating a liver transplant for some people taking a mixed weight loss supplement. Same with Garcinia Cambogia herbal extracts. High dose vitamin B3 in the form of nicotinic acid can also cause hepatotoxicity.

I wouldn´t put strain on a damaged liver by taking xenobiotic compounds like herbal extracts foreign to the body in supplemental form. Most plant extracts get conjugated or in other ways detoxified by the liver.

Best wishes

"LiverTox® provides up-to-date, unbiased and easily accessed information on the diagnosis, cause, frequency, clinical patterns and management of liver injury attributable to prescription and nonprescription medications and selected herbal and dietary supplements.

The LiverTox site is meant as a resource for both physicians and patients as well as for clinical academicians and researchers who specialize in idiosyncratic drug induced hepatotoxicity."

https://guides.nnlm.gov/tutorial/livertox
This is great advice. Please be careful in your endeavor. Any additional workload placed on the liver could cause complete failure. Please use LiverTox as a valuable resource.

smokinjoe

Re: Scary News: Sister has liver failure (intense topic)

Post by smokinjoe »

Well I thought I'd post an update.

Due to my sister failing on key criteria, she is not going to get a transplant and is in a palliative care program.

This doesn't mean i have given up, but with the permission of her doctors and with her permission, I am giving her NMN and Resveratrol, with the occasional blast of NAD+ when she is up to it.

She was given grim news, then a bit of hope while she fought to make gains, then grim news again, so she is in charge now and feels a bit more empowered and is largely at peace with her situation.

At first she was pretty much off food, but i gently encouraged her to get calories and try to have oatmeal everyday, She needs protein and carbs, so I do my best to support her with that. So, while she slid at first, now that she is eating again, she has regained some ground.

The way i see it, the only hope of survival is if her scar tissue were to slough off (autophagy) and then new cells could form. But i recognize these are processes that might happen in a healthy body, and hers is severely compromised.

So I am looking at the 3 week mark. She is getting pretty large doses of NMN and Resv. At the very least she is slightly more energised and calmer.

I think the way it played out, her liver failure was extreme. Like total stage 4, so i don't hold out much hope. But I certainly intend to help her stay around as long as she can have quality days.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Thank you for the update and she will be in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed as you make this journey and if you need anything please let me know.
daver

Post by daver »

I read a book some time ago that impressed me a lot. It's "The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough" By Burt Berkson M.D.,Ph.D. I've since given it away, but as I can remember, the book discussed cases of saving the lives of people with liver failure due to acetaminophen overdose, snake bites and other things. The Lipoic acid was given intravenously and not many doctors wanted to do it. You ought to read this book. It's easy to read and hard to put down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic