NAD+New paper explains the role of NAD+ in health and disease

AlbertY

New paper explains the role of NAD+ in health and disease

Post by AlbertY »

Check this review paper to understand how NAD and its precursors (NMN/NR) works!
The conceptual evolution of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) from being seen as a simple metabolic cofactor to a pivotal cosubstrate for proteins regulating metabolism and longevity, including the sirtuin family of protein deacylases, has led to a new wave of scientific interest in NAD+. NAD+ levels decline during ageing, and alterations in NAD+ homeostasis can be found in virtually all age-related diseases, including neurodegeneration, diabetes and cancer. In preclinical settings, various strategies to increase NAD+ levels have shown beneficial effects, thus starting a competitive race to discover marketable NAD+ boosters to improve healthspan and lifespan. Here, we review the basics of NAD+ biochemistry and metabolism, and its roles in health and disease, and we discuss current challenges and the future translational potential of NAD+ research.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-019-0161-5

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
drkris69

Re: New paper explains the role of NAD+ in health and disease

Post by drkris69 »

Great study Albert, thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you AlbertY. I love reviews that draw dots between individual studies and do their own reasoning. Like this one. Behind a paywall but could access it via my work.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Great article and provides relevant information about NAD+ and precursors. Filled in some gaps thank you.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Drdavid wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:07 am Great article and provides relevant information about NAD+ and precursors. Filled in some gaps thank you.
Yes, and we still have a way to go to “fill in all the gaps and complete the longevity puzzle”
Day by Day we are slowly getting closer by way of taking note and the sharing of information on forums like this.. :idea:
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Albert,
Have you seen any research showing that any of the NAD or precursors have the ability to alter the lipid layer in cells? I am working on a patient that was bitten by a brown recluse and has systemic symptoms. We now know this is a protein that the spider has in the venom. This protein alters the lipid layer by removing the lipid head and leaving the tail thus altering the shape and function.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

Drdavid wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 am Albert,
Have you seen any research showing that any of the NAD or precursors have the ability to alter the lipid layer in cells? I am working on a patient that was bitten by a brown recluse and has systemic symptoms. We now know this is a protein that the spider has in the venom. This protein alters the lipid layer by removing the lipid head and leaving the tail thus altering the shape and function.
Sorry, I've never heard anything about the role of NAD+ in regulating the composition of membrane. It probably does have some effect on the membrane since NAD+ plays some role in lipid metabolism, but no one has ever looked at it.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

AlbertY wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:34 pm
Drdavid wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 am Albert,
Sorry, I've never heard anything about the role of NAD+ in regulating the composition of membrane. It probably does have some effect on the membrane since NAD+ plays some role in lipid metabolism, but no one has ever looked at it.
Thank you for the information.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic