Miscellaneous TopicsMetformin

clearcolors

Metformin

Post by clearcolors »

Surprised there aren't more posts about Metformin! Dr Sinclair seems to believe in it.

Anyway, since it requires a prescription, how are you supposed to get it? If I asked for a prescription from my doctor for longevity, he would laugh at me. I notice that it can be purchased online (overseas), but not sure who is a reliable source.

Any comment or suggestions?

jocko6889

Re: Metformin

Post by jocko6889 »

If your doctor laughs over getting a longevity medicine, time to get a new doctor. My doctor not only didn't laugh, he gladly wrote me a script. I think many will, if they're well read and a little open minded.
rhett

Post by rhett »

Saw this pop up recently: https://www.qalytude.com

Online consultations for Metformin prescriptions in the US. Looks like they're looking to expand into Rapamycin in the future.

Though I don't love that they're doing the sketchy thing of embedding one Dr. Sinclair's videos... which for many people will be seen as an endorsement.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Yeah, I hope you are able to get some Metformin as most Internal Med docs unless your bloodwork shows an elevated A1c, they tend to not want to prescribe. But as jocko suggested I would look for one that is willing and I find that if you look for a clinic that does alternative medicine ie, chiro, PT and Traditionl medicine all under one roof, you would be better off.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

drkris69 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 pm Yeah, I hope you are able to get some Metformin as most Internal Med docs unless your bloodwork shows an elevated A1c, they tend to not want to prescribe. But as jocko suggested I would look for one that is willing and I find that if you look for a clinic that does alternative medicine ie, chiro, PT and Traditionl medicine all under one roof, you would be better off.
I hope i haven't missed this from anyone before. Has anyone in Canada successfully persuaded their doctor to prescribe this?

There are some meds that are strictly watched when used off-label (although psychiatrists in Canada do it all the time)
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

clearcolors wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 am Surprised there aren't more posts about Metformin! Dr Sinclair seems to believe in it.

Anyway, since it requires a prescription, how are you supposed to get it? If I asked for a prescription from my doctor for longevity, he would laugh at me. I notice that it can be purchased online (overseas), but not sure who is a reliable source.

Any comment or suggestions?
Also I have been taking Berberine for 4 months now in lieu of metformin. On the one hand i am only slightly less likely to have sweets, and on the other, I feel like Berberine mitigates the effects of night time sweets somewhat.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

I agree with all the above! As a part of the science community, I would also suggest trying to sign up for Dr. Nir Barzilai's clinical trial for metformin if you can!
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Longevity36

Post by Longevity36 »

I also take Berberine. 250mg every morning. I might need to get some blood work done just to be sure my sugar levels are ok. But I feel fine. Great actually. Berberine is said to be the poor mans metformin. It’s actually a root. So I’m ok taking it. I don’t know exactly what is in metformin. Crazy thing is all these supplements can get dangerous. I read about people developing liver damage.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Longevity36 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:03 am I also take Berberine. 250mg every morning. I might need to get some blood work done just to be sure my sugar levels are ok. But I feel fine. Great actually. Berberine is said to be the poor mans metformin. It’s actually a root. So I’m ok taking it. I don’t know exactly what is in metformin. Crazy thing is all these supplements can get dangerous. I read about people developing liver damage.
Metformin was originally derived from a plant. It is now synthesized. Metformin protects the liver against some of the effects of fatty liver, it doesn´t damage it.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

I've found some articles about metformin, it's picking up steam!

This article mentions "four drugs with the largest anti-aging effects" (one of which is metformin):
https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/lab-repo ... t-about-us

This article from June 2019 talks about how metformin may blunt the health benefits of exercise:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/well ... twice.html

Looks like metformin is popular in silicon valley! The guy who is interviewed in the article has a doctor who reviewed the research with him...seems to be a common theme here where it's important to find a doctor who is open-minded enough to prescribe it to you should you wish for non-diabetes purposes:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/23/metform ... alley.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic