NutritionFruit, berry and vegetable smoothies

NewLifeScience

Fruit, berry and vegetable smoothies

Post by NewLifeScience »

I thing the term is called juicing, but does anyone do the health smoothie thing?

I once did an anti-angiogenic mix of fruits, berries and cooked vegetables after i tore some abdominal tissue and i needed (wanted) to lose weight while convalescing... and i was largely in bed on my back.

This also included cooking with meat and vegetables on the antiangiogenic list (from Dr. William Li's list) (https://blog.ted.com/dr_william_lis/)

I lost 45 pounds in 4 months.

But i was also healthy in every other way.

Are smoothies like this safe for very sick people?

What do you folks think?

AlbertY

Re: Fruit, berry and vegetable smoothies

Post by AlbertY »

Fruits are good, but don't have too much. You certainly don't want to take too much fructose, they are really pro-obesity and bad to your metabolic health.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

Do you preserve the fibers when making this smoothie? If not, it is basically juice and fruit juice has been proved be bad to health, not much better than a soft drink. You can look at the fructose level of fruits, for example, blueberry is good low-fructose fruit, you can have a large bowl of it without worrying over-intaking fuctose
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Totally agree with AlbertY - too much fruit juice isn't great for health, very sugary!

People often think drinking fruit juice is better than soda pop, but if you look at the labels of fruit juice, the sugar content can be just as bad as soda pop! :shock:

This article talks about fruit juice and how to incorporate it into your diet in a more healthy way:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... ruit-juice

I personally prefer to eat the fruit more so than the juice, as I get less of a sugar rush eating it than drinking it! :)
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Yes I hear you both about the sugars which is why my smoothies were roughly 50% vegetables and at least in that sense, were less sweet.

I assume i kept the fiber, since i just washed and placed the berries and fruits into a bowl and blended them.

The fruits and berries i chose .were likely highly sweet though, since berries like strawberry and blueberry have such good senolytic properties.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

NewLifeScience wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:05 pm Yes I hear you both about the sugars which is why my smoothies were roughly 50% vegetables and at least in that sense, were less sweet.

I assume i kept the fiber, since i just washed and placed the berries and fruits into a bowl and blended them.

The fruits and berries i chose .were likely highly sweet though, since berries like strawberry and blueberry have such good senolytic properties.
That is a good idea....

the bright berries are typically where most senolytics are from: strawberries, and blue berries for example
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Everything in moderation. Health is about a series of decisions that are made to improve life
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Speaking of fruit, berries seem to be best on a scale, good-better-best. Ive read a study that showed that with the ingestion of fiber with fructose seem to lower the A1c as opposed to just having fructose. Eating the whole fruit is best than to drink the juice alone.
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 am Speaking of fruit, berries seem to be best on a scale, good-better-best. Ive read a study that showed that with the ingestion of fiber with fructose seem to lower the A1c as opposed to just having fructose. Eating the whole fruit is best than to drink the juice alone.
Sometimes hard with seasonal fruit (berries)
If I have to resort to juice ( pomegranate) I take it by way of a 100 ml shot glass every 4 to 6 hours.
That way it is spaced out over the food intake period and about 200 ml per day only.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

CeeJayBee wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 pm
NewLifeScience wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:05 pm Yes I hear you both about the sugars which is why my smoothies were roughly 50% vegetables and at least in that sense, were less sweet.

That is a good idea....

the bright berries are typically where most senolytics are from: strawberries, and blue berries for example
It seems the brighter the skin the more powerful the contents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic