Miscellaneous TopicsAny advice for Parkinson's disease patients? my mom is 70, suffering from Parkinson's for 7 years

drkris

Any advice for Parkinson's disease patients? my mom is 70, suffering from Parkinson's for 7 years

Post by drkris »

She just started taking NMN for about 3 weeks, sublingual, 4 times a day.
Not obvious but seemed the endurance is getting better, but still very weak, at muscle control and anxiety.

Would NAD+ be added together for better improvement? Any protocal for Parkinsons?

Thanks
K

Kris , a female knowledge worker in public data
AlbertY

Re: Any advice for Parkinson's disease patients? my mom is 70, suffering from Parkinson's for 7 years

Post by AlbertY »

drkris wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:02 am She just started taking NMN for about 3 weeks, sublingual, 4 times a day.
Not obvious but seemed the endurance is getting better, but still very weak, at muscle control and anxiety.

Would NAD+ be added together for better improvement? Any protocal for Parkinsons?

Thanks
K
Hi, NAD+ and its precursors are promising treatments for PD, check this new paper https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4618310121
The level of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) decreases in Parkinson's disease (PD), and its reduction has been reported to be involved in many age-associated neurodegenerative pathologies. Thus, we investigated whether NAD replenishment is beneficial in a 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA)-induced mouse model of PD. Preinjection with NAD in the striatum ameliorated motor deficits and dopaminergic neuronal damage in the substantia nigra and striatum of a mouse model of PD. Moreover, preincubation with NAD protected PC12 cells against the loss of cell viability, morphological damage, oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction caused by 6-OHDA. These results add credence to the beneficial role of NAD against parkinsonian neurodegeneration in mouse models of PD, provide evidence for the potential of NAD for the prevention of PD, and suggest that NAD prevents pathological changes in PD via decreasing mitochondrial dysfunctions.
Here is a clinical study for Parkinson's using NR, see if you can get your mom in
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03816020

Hope these help.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
AlbertY

Re: Any advice for Parkinson's disease patients? my mom is 70, suffering from Parkinson's for 7 years

Post by AlbertY »

And NMN or NAD+ do not cause cancer,

NAD+ depletion with age may play a major role in the process of cancer formation by limiting (1) energy production, (2) DNA repair, (3) genomic stability and signaling. Disruption of any of these processes could increase the cancer risk due to impaired genomic stability. NAD+ content is a critical protective factor in early carcinogenesis and can become detrimental factor later in cancer progression and promotion phase. Namely, NAD+ restoration could prevent or reverse the phenotype of malignant cells at early stages by inducing cellular repair and stress adaptive response as well as regulate cell cycle arrest and apoptotic removal of damaged cells. Contrary, during cancer promotion, progression and treatment increased NAD+ levels could have deleterious effects on the malignancy process due to growth advantage,
Poljsak B (2016) NAD+ in Cancer Prevention and Treatment: Pros and Cons. J Clin Exp Oncol 5:4. doi:10.4172/2324-9110.1000165
drkris

Post by drkris »

AlbertY wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am
drkris wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:02 am She just started taking NMN for about 3 weeks, sublingual, 4 times a day.

Thanks
K
Hi, NAD+ and its precursors are promising treatments for PD, check this new paper https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4618310121
The level of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) decreases in Parkinson's disease (PD), and its reduction has been reported to be involved in many age-associated neurodegenerative pathologies. Thus, we investigated whether NAD replenishment is beneficial in a 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA)-induced mouse model of PD. Preinjection with NAD in the striatum ameliorated motor deficits and dopaminergic neuronal damage in the substantia nigra and striatum of a mouse model of PD. Moreover, preincubation with NAD protected PC12 cells against the loss of cell viability, morphological damage, oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction caused by 6-OHDA. These results add credence to the beneficial role of NAD against parkinsonian neurodegeneration in mouse models of PD, provide evidence for the potential of NAD for the prevention of PD, and suggest that NAD prevents pathological changes in PD via decreasing mitochondrial dysfunctions.
Here is a clinical study for Parkinson's using NR, see if you can get your mom in

Hope these help.

Thanks AlbertY, it is very useful, and any advice or protocol for my mom's PD with NAD+?
BTW, she is rather too slim, and I am afraid she will be getting slimmer after taking NAD+...correct me if I am wrong.
:)

Many thanks
Kris , a female knowledge worker in public data
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

drkris wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 am
AlbertY wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks
K

Hope these help.

Thanks AlbertY, it is very useful, and any advice or protocol for my mom's PD with NAD+?
BTW, she is rather too slim, and I am afraid she will be getting slimmer after taking NAD+...correct me if I am wrong.
:)

Many thanks
I think the protocol in this clinical trial is the best guess of these clinicians, which is NR 500 mg x 2/day. At some level, NMN and NR are interchangeable (if they are both 100% absorbed and transformed into NAD, 1 molecule of NR will be equal to 1 molecule NMN. So NMN might work with the same dose. For the bodyweight, I think the effect of NMN on it is trivial. According to Dr. Longo, old people (65+) should moderately increase protein intake to maintain lean mass and bone density. Maybe you should look into some dietary intervention to deal with bodyweight issue. ( though lower bodyweight is not necessarily to be a bad thing, its correlated with longevity). Hope your mom can get better.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Albert thank you for the study links
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic