FAQsWhat is IP?

DaveH

What is IP?

Post by DaveH »

Some of the references on this site to testing of products say that testing was done with IP or IV delivery of the thing being tested. I know that IV means intravenous and I understand what that is. But I don't know what IP means. Could you please inform me what it means?

jocko6889

Re: What is IP?

Post by jocko6889 »

DaveH wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 pm Some of the references on this site to testing of products say that testing was done with IP or IV delivery of the thing being tested. I know that IV means intravenous and I understand what that is. But I don't know what IP means. Could you please inform me what it means?
IP stands for Intraperitoneal or administered through the peritoneum. The peritoneum is a thin, transparent membrane that lines the walls of the abdominal (peritoneal) cavity.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Thanks for the response. With that information I was able to find more with a Google search. It appears that IP refers to medication being injected through the abdomen into the body cavity.
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

IP is used in mice for convenience. It is not as direct as IV, but a lot more so than in water or chow. It is closest to sublingual in the biovavailability, but varies from one molecule to the next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic