Miscellaneous TopicsSirtuins Are Evolutionarily Conserved Viral Restriction Factors

Fred

Sirtuins Are Evolutionarily Conserved Viral Restriction Factors

Post by Fred »

"The seven human sirtuins are a family of ubiquitously expressed and evolutionarily conserved NAD+-dependent deacylases/mono-ADP ribosyltransferases that regulate numerous cellular and organismal functions, including metabolism, cell cycle, and longevity.

Here, we report the discovery that all seven sirtuins have broad-range antiviral properties. We demonstrate that small interfering RNA (siRNA)-mediated knockdown of individual sirtuins and drug-mediated inhibition of sirtuin enzymatic activity increase the production of virus progeny in infected human cells. This impact on virus growth is observed for both DNA and RNA viruses.

Importantly, sirtuin-activating drugs inhibit the replication of diverse viruses, as we demonstrate for human cytomegalovirus, a slowly replicating DNA virus, and influenza A (H1N1) virus, an RNA virus that multiplies rapidly.

Furthermore, sirtuin defense functions are evolutionarily conserved, since CobB, the sirtuin homologue in Escherichia coli, protects against bacteriophages.

Altogether, our findings establish sirtuins as broad-spectrum and evolutionarily conserved components of the immune defense system, providing a framework for elucidating a new set of host cell defense mechanisms and developing sirtuin modulators with antiviral activity."

https://mbio.asm.org/content/5/6/e02249-14.long

p75213

Re: Sirtuins Are Evolutionarily Conserved Viral Restriction Factors

Post by p75213 »

Are they're supplements available that activate all the sirtuins? Personally I'd like to employ all the help I can against cov-19.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I have been on NMN the past 9 months and have not been sick, through the flu season with nothing (although there we a couple of times I felt something coming, thought maybe, but then all good! This quote from David Sinclar provides some great insight.

"David: Oh, I absolutely do. I think you're probably right in thinking along the same lines that as you get older, you're losing the ability to make NAD, but you're also chewing it up. And as it gets worse and worse as you get older, the immune system is a big drain on NAD, and actually, so is DNA repair with the activation of PARPs. And once you drain NAD a little bit, then your PARPs and your immune system won't work, but then they'll need more NAD because you'll get more damage."
From: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/david-sinclair

Basically more NAD = more fuel for sirtuins and more fuel for a better immune system!

Good question though, has anyone mapped what activates/accelerates each of the seven human sirtuins?

SIRT-1 = Resveratrol, Olive Oil, etc
SIRT 2 = ??
Etc

A good start is eating a good diet, big fan of Dr William Li on food guidance see: https://eattobeat.org/
Fred

Post by Fred »

NAD precursors indirectly activate all seven Sirtuins just by supplying the "fuel".

Metformin, fasting, exercise, melatonin, and olive oil activates SIRT1.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic