Nutritionshould we just stay away from sugar?

canadahealthy

should we just stay away from sugar?

Post by canadahealthy »

i have a rounded t-spoon of sugar in my 2 coffees per day, and probably 2 cookies a day.

i don't do dessert.

on 'cheat days' (usually one per week) i have a lot of sugar.

the question i have... is sugar basically the enemy? should we avoid it along with simple carbs?

Fred

Re: should we just stay away from sugar?

Post by Fred »

Q: Should we just stay away from sugar?

A: Yes. As much as we can and our mental health allows.
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

I agree with Fred but don't switch to sweeteners as most of them have an insulin response similar to sugar and that is what you want to avoid. May as well stick to sugar when you really need sweetness as at least it is a natural product (so is Stevia, but you do get a bitter aftertaste with this).
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

i agree, it should be a rare occasion... rarer i think than even once a week. if one binges on sugar, i think that can be pretty hard on the system. particularly if we are older...

But carbs like bread, pasta and potatoes can be just as bad, especially bread.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Reducing sugar intake is a healthy option. However, it may not be a perfect option. Maintaining a diet that is raw sourced improves this option but reality is that staying away from sugar 100% is difficult. I tell my patients that reducing your sugar intake is a great first step to health.
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

Drdavid wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm Reducing sugar intake is a healthy option. However, it may not be a perfect option. Maintaining a diet that is raw sourced improves this option but reality is that staying away from sugar 100% is difficult. I tell my patients that reducing your sugar intake is a great first step to health.
Really? I find sugar craving go away after a while. Keto almost 4 years now. I did use artificial sweeteners at first in coffee and lemonad or such. After 6 months, not tempted by sugar at all. Bread was tempting for a bit longer for me. I agree whole foods and limiting sugar is the best first step for sure. Just don't think it is hard to eliminate 100%.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

I agree that it is possible to eliminate 100%. However, I do not feel that most patients can just do this immediately. Using a step down system or switching them into a keto format is much easier.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

ALIVEBYNATURE wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:37 pm
Drdavid wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm Reducing sugar intake is a healthy option. However, it may not be a perfect option. Maintaining a diet that is raw sourced improves this option but reality is that staying away from sugar 100% is difficult. I tell my patients that reducing your sugar intake is a great first step to health.
Really? I find sugar craving go away after a while. Keto almost 4 years now. I did use artificial sweeteners at first in coffee and lemonad or such. After 6 months, not tempted by sugar at all. Bread was tempting for a bit longer for me. I agree whole foods and limiting sugar is the best first step for sure. Just don't think it is hard to eliminate 100%.
It is interesting you mention sugar and bread. I think they are the top two most harmful substances to consume even weekly at anything more than a small amount.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

Binging on sugar for one day sounds awful, but having one or two sweet servings on cheat day may be a good way to get you through the week on a strict diet. It can also trick your metabolism preventing it from adjusting to your strict diet.

i would also remove simple carbs from your diet as well as sugar.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm Q: Should we just stay away from sugar?

A: Yes. As much as we can and our mental health allows.
I agree, Fred! There are some good documentaries out there about the dangers of sugar; one from Australia is called "That Sugar Film", which was quite eye-opening.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3892434/

I used to drink my lattes with a teaspoon of sugar, and then I just went cold turkey after watching the movie and reading about the dangers of sugar, and it was alright! Eventually lost the taste for the sugar and I don't need the sugar in my lattes anymore.

I also stopped drinking Coke a long time ago (when I used to drink quite a bit!), and now even if have a couple of sips, I get really bad headaches. The body definitely adjusts!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic