Nutritionshould we just stay away from sugar?

canadahealthy

Re: should we just stay away from sugar?

Post by canadahealthy »

OzSport wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 am
Fred wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm Q: Should we just stay away from sugar?

A: Yes. As much as we can and our mental health allows.
I agree, Fred! There are some good documentaries out there about the dangers of sugar; one from Australia is called "That Sugar Film", which was quite eye-opening.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3892434/

I used to drink my lattes with a teaspoon of sugar, and then I just went cold turkey after watching the movie and reading about the dangers of sugar, and it was alright! Eventually lost the taste for the sugar and I don't need the sugar in my lattes anymore.

I also stopped drinking Coke a long time ago (when I used to drink quite a bit!), and now even if have a couple of sips, I get really bad headaches. The body definitely adjusts!
I love my coffee.. i am just too chickensh** to drink it without sugar. Anecdotally, it takes 2 weeks to learn to like it without...

But i think the benefits are such that i should be pretty much sugar free... by the end of the year.

JohnAdams

Post by JohnAdams »

Sugar is evil
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

canadahealthy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 am
OzSport wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 am
Fred wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm Q: Should we just stay away from sugar?

A: Yes. As much as we can and our mental health allows.
I agree, Fred! There are some good documentaries out there about the dangers of sugar; one from Australia is called "That Sugar Film", which was quite eye-opening.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3892434/

I used to drink my lattes with a teaspoon of sugar, and then I just went cold turkey after watching the movie and reading about the dangers of sugar, and it was alright! Eventually lost the taste for the sugar and I don't need the sugar in my lattes anymore.

I also stopped drinking Coke a long time ago (when I used to drink quite a bit!), and now even if have a couple of sips, I get really bad headaches. The body definitely adjusts!
I love my coffee.. i am just too chickensh** to drink it without sugar. Anecdotally, it takes 2 weeks to learn to like it without...

But i think the benefits are such that i should be pretty much sugar free... by the end of the year.
Haha, you can do it, canadahealthy! And that's cool if you take it in small steps, they all add up!
Newage

Post by Newage »

One of my athletes used to eat 15 weetbix at 5am before his training day started.
No sugar only milk and after a while he stated that the weetbix started to taste sweeter as his taste buds adapted.
The weetbix already have a certain amount of sugar in their processing without having to add to it..
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Well, i need help! I am fasting often.. but my nights are terrible!

I take medication for anxiety and sleep... and once i take those, i get a big bad craving...

It's not always for sugar, but it is often for carbs.

I was thinking of having meat (chicken/pork/beef/fish) precooked and to try to transition over to that.. but we are in a partial ration situation...

I at least take berberine... but I am wondering if anyone else here has struggled with sugar or carbs at night, and overcame it.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 am Well, i need help! I am fasting often.. but my nights are terrible!

I take medication for anxiety and sleep... and once i take those, i get a big bad craving...

It's not always for sugar, but it is often for carbs.

I was thinking of having meat (chicken/pork/beef/fish) precooked and to try to transition over to that.. but we are in a partial ration situation...

I at least take berberine... but I am wondering if anyone else here has struggled with sugar or carbs at night, and overcame it.
Maybe as a step you could go from sweets to simple carbs, like bread or crackers. Meat or anything high protein, would be your best choice, but may be too big of a jump.

I agree it is good to also be taking berberine with the extra sugar intake.
Newage

Post by Newage »

What I snack on throughout the day whilst training.
1 can tuna.
1 can garden peas.
2 desert spoons virgin Olive Oil.
4 desert spoons apple cider vinegar.
Cracked Black pepper.
I mix it all together in a container and it lasts for at least 3 days in the refrigerator.
A couple of big spoonfuls every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day.
Costs about $3 Australian in total..add half a red onion to taste.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I think now is the best time to reduce your sugar intake.

Maybe fill up on a couple boiled eggs at night. They have gone back and forth of the 'heathiness' of eggs, but they are great for protein, sugar balance, even good cholesterol.

I think having sugar temporarily lowers your immune system. refined sugars are the enemy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ne-system/
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Well i think it is worth trying to at least reduce your sugar.

And try not to binge.

I remember when i used to have my weekend drinks... it really weakened my immune system especially as i smoked. About 1/3 of the time i would get a cold.

Some people are harder hit by sugar than others.I am convinced that being a virtual teetotaller saved me from years of sugar abuse.

So I may have a sweet tooth, but i avoided sugar binge drinking.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:19 pm One of my athletes used to eat 15 weetbix at 5am before his training day started.
No sugar only milk and after a while he stated that the weetbix started to taste sweeter as his taste buds adapted.
The weetbix already have a certain amount of sugar in their processing without having to add to it..
15 weetbix, amazing! I can barely get through two with milk because I find it a bit bland, but that makes sense that over time, his taste buds would adapt. It is surprising how much sugar is in "bland" food, and that all it takes is just that bit of time to adapt to it while resisting the urge to add sugar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic