NutritionArticle: "The 41 ‘Longevity’ Nutrients You Need for a Healthier Life"

OzSport

Article: "The 41 ‘Longevity’ Nutrients You Need for a Healthier Life"

Post by OzSport »

A short article about "41 nutrients that may play an important role in promoting healthy aging":

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... -something

For those who are short on time, here is the list:

Quoted from the article -
"- 14 known vitamins, including vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, C, D, E, K, biotin, choline, folic acid, niacin, and pantothenate.

- 16 essential minerals, including calcium, chloride, chromium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, magnesium, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulfur, and zinc.

- 11 other substances that aren’t currently classified as vitamins but should be [according to the researcher]. These include two types of omega-3 fatty acids and nine amino acids."

For those with some time to read the detailed stuff, here is the original research article from where the above article is based upon:

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/43/10836

RobSmith

Re: Article: "The 41 ‘Longevity’ Nutrients You Need for a Healthier Life"

Post by RobSmith »

Great article Ozsport. I think one difficulty those who practice calorie restriction all have is trying to get enough of all the other required nutrients. Vitamin and mineral supplements is probably the only way around this.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Great stuff thanks Ozsport reading now..
LurlineSetser

Post by LurlineSetser »

Melatonin has been proposed as a potential therapeutic agent against age-related diseases of the brain, and even against brain aging. A detailed description is given here of the relevant aspects of brain aging, along with a summary of studies demonstrating a beneficial effect. 
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

OzSport wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 am A short article about "41 nutrients that may play an important role in promoting healthy aging":

"- 14 known vitamins, including vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, C, D, E, K, biotin, choline, folic acid, niacin, and pantothenate.

- 16 essential minerals, including calcium, chloride, chromium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, magnesium, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulfur, and zinc.

- 11 other substances that aren’t currently classified as vitamins but should be [according to the researcher]. These include two types of omega-3 fatty acids and nine amino acids."

For those with some time to read the detailed stuff, here is the original research article from where the above article is based upon:

nice big list. reminds me to aim for dark greens, bright berries and supplements. Gotta have my veggies.
adamgreen

Post by adamgreen »

I certainly would not advise you to take vitamins without a preliminary analysis. After all, an excess of certain vitamins in the body (for example, vitamin D) leads to serious disorders

adamgreen

Post by adamgreen »

This. I switched to decaf this year and have felt much better since then. I used to really struggle to fall asleep and took melatonin whenever I really needed to make sure I fell asleep quickly. No crazy dreams or side-effects at all, but not sure it really helped a whole lot, maybe some. But the best life choice I've made recently was to stop the caffeine craziness. The thing that put me over the edge is when I realized that my cups of black coffee from Starbucks had 3 times as much caffeine as a normal cup of coffee! No wonder 3 cups of homemade coffee on my days off didn't do it for me...
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

OzSport wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 am A short article about "41 nutrients that may play an important role in promoting healthy aging":

Excellent!

My 2 cents:
B12 as methylcobalamin
Folic acid as methylfolate

yvonnedreess

Post by yvonnedreess »

A senior scientist at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute and professor emeritus of biochemistry and molecular biology at the University of California, Berkeley, Bruce Ames, has identified 41 nutrients that may play an important role in promoting healthy agingThese nutrients include 14 known vitamins, including vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, C, D, E, K, biotin, choline, folic acid, niacin, and pantothenate.
They also include 16 essential minerals, including calcium, chloride, chromium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, magnesium, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulfur, and zinc. Additionally, Ames identified 11 other substances that aren’t currently classified as vitamins but should be, according to him. These include two types of omega-3 fatty acids and nine amino acids.

Altogether, Ames calls these nutrients “longevity vitamins” due to the role he believes they play in promoting long and healthy life.The idea of longevity vitamins builds on a concept that Ames developed more than a decade ago, known as the triage theory.
According to this theory, the body rations scarce nutrients in a way that privileges short-term survival and reproduction over long-term health.When the body takes in fewer nutrients than it needs, he said, it directs the available nutrients to biochemical processes that are essential for short-term survival and reproduction.
In comparison, he continued, the body grants lower priority to biochemical processes that are important for long-term maintenance, such as DNA repair. Longevity vitamins help to support those processes so for more information visit here.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

yvonnedreess wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:33 am They also include 16 essential minerals, including calcium, chloride, chromium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, magnesium, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulfur, and zinc.

I'd like to see the study and how recent it is.  Iron is not anti-aging.  It actually increases the rate of aging. This is why many daily vitamin supplements no longer include iron.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic