ExerciseBack on the treadmill again

NewLifeScience

Back on the treadmill again

Post by NewLifeScience »

I've always preferred running on a treadmill. I am about 200 pounds when relatively fit and i find the treadmill has much less impact on my joints. In fact, there is no issue.

It is one of those things though if you stop for a while, it takes some mental gymnastics to get back on.

I have been going again for about 8 weeks and am up to 4km per run. I will try to keep it to 4 times per week max, as it can be addictive like anything else.

During the pandemic I have no interest in going crazy and depleting my energy entirely on a run... i feel like that is a good way to hurt your immune system for the subsequent hours... So i am just keeping my body moving and burning calories.

Drdavid

Re: Back on the treadmill again

Post by Drdavid »

It sounds like you are staying active and that is the most important thing. Keep up the work and you will see the results!
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Yes if anything, go for a walk outside and get some sun. Natural Vit D is great too and good for you.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

drkris69 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am Yes if anything, go for a walk outside and get some sun. Natural Vit D is great too and good for you.
Oh yes, I get my sun... and apparently we only get enough UV radiation from the sun for Vitamin D production 6 months out of the year... (too far north, winter sun rays are too weak) so i also take D3.

But the running is about cardio / aerobic exercise.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

NewLifeScience wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am
drkris69 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am Yes if anything, go for a walk outside and get some sun. Natural Vit D is great too and good for you.
Oh yes, I get my sun... and apparently we only get enough UV radiation from the sun for Vitamin D production 6 months out of the year... (too far north, winter sun rays are too weak) so i also take D3.

But the running is about cardio / aerobic exercise.
Canadians do deal with the Vitamin D deficiency in the late fall to early spring. Hence the need for fish in our diet and supplementary Vitamin D. We all used to take Cod Liver Oil back when i was a kid.. I really don't think anyone is doing that anymore.

I am taking vitamin C and D..s... and bell peppers for the vitamin C. I have a large supply of canned meat and veggies, dry foods and even boxed juice. I know it is not optimal, but better than nothing.

Where i am we have relatively low cases, but we are waiting to see how the virtual lock down of the past couple weeks affects the rate of new cases. I want to shop, but i also would rather limit my outside exposure as I also need to bring things to my older parent.

I also have a treadmill collecting dust... probably time to give it a go. I WISH i had bought that used Bowlfex Ultimate for $350 when it was for sale!!
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

You know what they say about home gym equipment. Most people use it to hang stuff up. Great job on taking Vitamin D. A great little vitamin that is low in cost and provides a great deal of benefit on several different levels. Here is an article to provide more information

Altern Med Rev. 2005 Jun;10(2):94-111.
Benefits and requirements of vitamin D for optimal health: a review.
Grant WB1, Holick MF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15989379
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

There is some debate about whether vitamin D supplements even work. To get enough vitamin D, you only need 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure, two to three times a week between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Newage

Post by Newage »

jocko6889 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm There is some debate about whether vitamin D supplements even work. To get enough vitamin D, you only need 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure, two to three times a week between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Plenty of time to sit in the sun in the backyard with what is going on in the world.
Natural is always better when available before relying on supplements.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

NewLifeScience wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm
During the pandemic I have no interest in going crazy and depleting my energy entirely on a run... i feel like that is a good way to hurt your immune system for the subsequent hours... So i am just keeping my body moving and burning calories.
Good call, NewLifeScience! Finding a balance during these times is key. :)
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Well, you've inspired me NLS! :)

It is a funny thing, if I change into my running/treadmill attire.. it is going to happen.

So the trick is, to get into the attire. This may sound like a no brainer for many, but you would be surprised how hard it is for me to take that step.

However, I have done it three times now... so in 5 days have used the treadmill 3 times... doing a mile in total including warm up and cool down.

I hope to keep this up, it is very good for the brain.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic