ExerciseBack on the treadmill again

canadahealthy

Re: Back on the treadmill again

Post by canadahealthy »

NewLifeScience wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:40 pm My treadmill tells me the alleged calories i burn on a run as well as grams of fat. No idea what that is based on, but at the rate I am going... I 'should' be losing over a pound of adipose tissue each week, possibly 5 pounds a month.

We'll see. I hate stepping on the scale often as it doesn't tell you much. Much better to wait 3 months and get a surprise.
Well at least it is something you can chart. Knowing you are burning more this month than last month can be encouraging.

I imagine weight loss through running alone can be pretty slow, but i'd like to hear about your progress once you get on the scale.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:35 pm
NewLifeScience wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:40 pm My treadmill tells me the alleged calories i burn on a run as well as grams of fat. No idea what that is based on, but at the rate I am going... I 'should' be losing over a pound of adipose tissue each week, possibly 5 pounds a month.

We'll see. I hate stepping on the scale often as it doesn't tell you much. Much better to wait 3 months and get a surprise.
Well at least it is something you can chart. Knowing you are burning more this month than last month can be encouraging.

I imagine weight loss through running alone can be pretty slow, but i'd like to hear about your progress once you get on the scale.
I will hold off until i figure it is well past 10 pounds. If my metabolism picks up too, that should help things along.
Newage

Post by Newage »

With all the athletes that I used to train canadahealthy running was the biggest contributor by far for weight reduction.
It was more of a problem to keep weight on them when they were doing big running miles or kilometres a week. It’s the ultimate calorie burner from what I have witnessed...🏃‍♀️
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I think it is best after your 15-20 minute burn... then you are oiut of nitrogen and are burning fat. anything you do after 16 solid minutes of aerobic exercise will get you there faster.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I am getting to the point now where i am adding 10-15 minutes at the end to grind out another 3/4 - 1 km to burn the calories. It is paying off now.

I do isometric exercises while i am warming up. I am also doing back stretches after every run, since my back gets pretty tight.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I am finally in a routine with the treadmill.

The biggest thing, weight loss. I am basically losing about a pound a week. That may not sound like much... but i have about 30 pounds i can spare - and it is going to be a (hopefully not too) long pandemic... I may even shed it all by the time this is all over.

I am also doing extremely targeted isometrics (thanks NewLife for the idea) i can work on nearly all my upper body muscles, back, chest, biceps, triceps and forearms. It is amazing because as I lose the weight, i am slowly uncovering emerging muscles.

I am probably going to stop being too obsessed with weight if this keeps up because it will get to the point where i am bulking up a bit.

The only thing i need to do is replenish the water and electrolytes. I am not a fan of 'gatorade', so i made sure i get my sodium, and potassium and dietary fats. I am using less carbohydrates as well.

There is never going to be another opportunity like this for me, to spend all this time on exercise and losing weight and building muscle. I am going to come out of this looking a hell of a lot younger than when i started.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I have also caught the treadmill bug.

I seem to see that a lot of people are gaining weight during this pandemic. No surprise, a lot of stress around at first, and people's routine's changing... a lot of 'hanging about'.

So every second day or so i have been doing a walk, a nice warm up pace, 20 minutes of intense walking (4m/h) and then 10-15 minutes of cool down.

In the last 2 weeks i am in the 4.5 m/h range and running for at least 10 minutes, and finishing with at least 10 minutes high intensity walking.

It is a good feeling. I hope to keep it up for the rest of the year.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 pm I am finally in a routine with the treadmill.

The biggest thing, weight loss. I am basically losing about a pound a week. That may not sound like much... but i have about 30 pounds i can spare - and it is going to be a (hopefully not too) long pandemic... I may even shed it all by the time this is all over.
Well done!

I think that's great you are losing the weight at a steady, consistent pace which helps to cement habits for the long-term...in those reality shows where contestants drop huge amounts of weight in a short period time, the contestants often gain all the weight back (and in some cases, even more than they lost!) because when they are on the "outside", the healthy habits haven't sunk in yet so they revert back to their old, bad habits.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Most people come up short on willpower when it comes to weight loss and keeping it off.
Comfort eating, cars (driving), easy access to supermarkets , processed foods, sugar etc..etc..etc.
I always stick by a simple rule.
“You have to earn your food” if you want a simple coffee, when able, walk to the coffee shop or leave the car a kilometre short of the shopping centre.
It works and you feel so much better with a small amount of effort.
Treat your food like your wage salary, you have to achieve something to get it.. :?
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Boy the world would be a better place if everyone followed this rule. Obesity wouldnt be one of the main downfalls in society. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic