Miscellaneous Topicsmask or no mask outside?

canadahealthy

mask or no mask outside?

Post by canadahealthy »

I have an elderly parent to consider, so i have a home-made microfiber face mask, and i do the washing of everything when i return from shopping.

I think maybe 1-2% of the people i encounter are wearing a mask.

I think if we get a jump in cases, that will change.

ChrisBON

Re: mask or no mask outside?

Post by ChrisBON »

I don't wear a mask outside, but i do in the grocery store, where it is tricky to keep the social distance at 6' all the time.

Also our post office gets visited by every family in town... so i wear it in there.

It seems to leading medical experts say masks prevent the mask wearer from spreading in to another person, but doesn't really protect the wearer.

I disagree, anything that traps droplets, provided it doesn't get too wet from breath, is at least a partial deterrent.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I agree, its better to wear one than not in public places.
rhett

Post by rhett »

Ultimately everyone needs to wear masks to protect each other. It’s more about keeping your own germs to yourself, but if everyone does it, then things spread much less.
Newage

Post by Newage »

rhett wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm Ultimately everyone needs to wear masks to protect each other. It’s more about keeping your own germs to yourself, but if everyone does it, then things spread much less.
I don’t wear a mask on the bike, run or on the scooter but I do when shopping or any other close encounters...I hate it, but you have to do what “you have to do” otherwise we are going to be locked down for a lot longer.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Things here are starting let up some what. Still taking the precautions as to wearing the mask and gloves when dealing with the public.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Take a look at this study regarding masks

Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2013 Aug;7(4):413-8. doi: 10.1017/dmp.2013.43.
Testing the efficacy of homemade masks: would they protect in an influenza pandemic?
Davies A1, Thompson KA, Giri K, Kafatos G, Walker J, Bennett A.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks.

METHODS:
Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to block bacterial and viral aerosols. Twenty-one healthy volunteers made their own face masks from cotton t-shirts; the masks were then tested for fit. The number of microorganisms isolated from coughs of healthy volunteers wearing their homemade mask, a surgical mask, or no mask was compared using several air-sampling techniques.

RESULTS:
The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask.

CONCLUSION:
Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

I sewed a vacuum cleaner filter into mine. It is better than surgical masks at filtering.

I wear my mask inside any buildings i am visiting, but not outside.
Newage

Post by Newage »

jessicaP wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm I sewed a vacuum cleaner filter into mine. It is better than surgical masks at filtering.

I would be careful of what some industrial commercial filters are made from and the possibility of breathing harmful fibres into your airways and lungs.
The solution could end up far worse than the problem..
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:27 pm
jessicaP wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm I sewed a vacuum cleaner filter into mine. It is better than surgical masks at filtering.

I would be careful of what some industrial commercial filters are made from and the possibility of breathing harmful fibres into your airways and lungs.
The solution could end up far worse than the problem..
Great point, Newage!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic