NAD+Can NAD+ Supplements Cause or Exasperate Autoimmune Conditions?

JamesD

Can NAD+ Supplements Cause or Exasperate Autoimmune Conditions?

Post by JamesD »

Is there any possibility that NAD+ or NMN or NR supplements can cause or exasperate autoimmune conditions?

I used to have Oral Lichen Planus 13 years ago but I managed to put it into full remission simply by improving my diet. However, last year when I started taking all these NAD+ boosting supplements, the lichen planus came back, fast and furious.

I'm still taking the supplements but I'm also on a very strict autoimmune protocol paleo diet (AIP diet). While the disease isn't getting worse, it isn't getting better either. It leaves me to wonder if there's a chance NAD+ supplements are working against me somehow.

Are there any studies or theories to explain this? Could it just be a coincidence? I know Lichen Planus typically waxes and wanes, but after a solid 13-year remission, I'm certainly suspicious.

canadahealthy

Re: Can NAD+ Supplements Cause or Exasperate Autoimmune Conditions?

Post by canadahealthy »

I am not sure about Auto-Immune conditions per se. And many Auto-Immune diseases are types of which little is known.

I know my elderly mother cannot take NAD+ since she is vulnerable to thrush, which is a yeast infection, most likely because the yeast benefit from the NAD+ as much as she does in fact, since they are so tiny, they may benefit more.

So I give her NMN which is not the same as pouring NAD into her mouth and mucous membranes, rather it is a molecule that boosts NAD+ in one's tissues.

I might suggest to you to try the same thing, use NMN rather than NAD+

Note: Unlike some members of this forum I am not a doctor or medical professional, this is my opinion based on research and experience.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

canadahealthy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm I am not sure about Auto-Immune conditions per se. And many Auto-Immune diseases are types of which little is known.

I know my elderly mother cannot take NAD+ since she is vulnerable to thrush, which is a yeast infection, most likely because the yeast benefit from the NAD+ as much as she does in fact, since they are so tiny, they may benefit more.

So I give her NMN which is not the same as pouring NAD into her mouth and mucous membranes, rather it is a molecule that boosts NAD+ in one's tissues.

I might suggest to you to try the same thing, use NMN rather than NAD+

Note: Unlike some members of this forum I am not a doctor or medical professional, this is my opinion based on research and experience.
I agree that you should consider using NMN. We have seen some flare ups in auto immune conditions when using high dose NAD+. There are some protocols that can get you around this but you will need to find a physician that can help you navigate this path.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I agree with DrDavid, try just taking NMN for 2 to 3 weeks and see if it clears up again.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Thanks for the responses. Why would NMN be better than NAD+ for preventing or avoiding an autoimmune flare?
Newage

Post by Newage »

JamesD wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:16 pm Thanks for the responses. Why would NMN be better than NAD+ for preventing or avoiding an autoimmune flare?
You can only try NMN by itself and monitor the results. A Different molecule and absorption rate.
“We are all different in the way we assimilate supplements”
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

JamesD wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:16 pm Thanks for the responses. Why would NMN be better than NAD+ for preventing or avoiding an autoimmune flare?
NMN causes NAD+ to be increased in our tissues and cells (If necessary i will let the better minds explain the precise how). NMN can be highly absorbed in our bodies to trigger this action.

Taking NAD+ directly gets NAD+ into your system, but you can't direct where it ends up as easily.

BY taking NMN we our helping our bodies produce more NAD+ system wide, and it certainly would not benefit any parasitic life like yeast or bacteria or even mycelium.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 pm
NMN causes NAD+ to be increased in our tissues and cells (If necessary i will let the better minds explain the precise how). NMN can be highly absorbed in our bodies to trigger this action.

Taking NAD+ directly gets NAD+ into your system, but you can't direct where it ends up as easily.

BY taking NMN we our helping our bodies produce more NAD+ system wide, and it certainly would not benefit any parasitic life like yeast or bacteria or even mycelium.
That makes better sense. Could this also be why NAD+ reportedly disrupts sleep but NMN not so much?
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

JamesD wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 am
ChrisBON wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 pm

That makes better sense. Could this also be why NAD+ reportedly disrupts sleep but NMN not so much?
I take NAD+ often right before sleep and have no issues. But it can essentially act as a stimulant in general and cause issues.

Some people (on this forum) also find they may have vivid dreams or some sleep issues with NMN if they take it close to bedtime. I personally do not take NMN any time after supper. I generally take it after lunch.

I prefer NMN to NAD+ myself. I am tasking 500mg of NMN per day and I am confident it keeps my NAD+ levels where they should be to help me recover some 'youthfulness' in my cells.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

We dont understand the chemical cascade that is involved in NAD/NMN and autoimmune disease however there is probably a link to the Sirtuin 1 that is NAD dependent. In practice we have seen that many patients respond well to NAD or NMN or a combination but others flare up with NAD+. Since NMN is a precursor is may have to do with the chemical cascade but this is just a guess.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic