ExerciseIs walking any good for burning fat?

ChrisBON

Re: Is walking any good for burning fat?

Post by ChrisBON »

I reread your post and I have changed my mind. Doing a mile in 20 minutes is going to make you burn off all the nitrogen, and you are probably burning fat by the last few minutes.

Not only that, but you are going to be burning fat throughout the rest of the few hours after that.

Newage

Post by Newage »

AlexanderT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:26 am “Above all, do not lose your desire to walk: Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.”
— Søren Kierkegaard
What a great quote AlexanderT...Unfortunately now has to be practiced with a mask or face covering. :shock:
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

I think running (outside or treadmill), or even losing an elliptical is going to be better than walking, but doing a 20 minute mile or walking for several miles is going to be awesome for your health.

Moving faster will just help you accomplish similar results in far less time.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

That is a great quote from Alexander. I love walking myself.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I don't know how i did it, but i have been doing the treadmill every second day. I do between 3-4 km over 35-40 minutes including warm up and cool down. I imagine by winter i will be closer to 5km.

There is no better feeling than heading to the shower after sweating to a good run.

My treadmill has an indicator of how many calories burned and how much fat burned. It claims 300 calories mean i have burned 100g of fat. I doubt it is that much, but i am only going to do 300 or more calories.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

The main thing is to be consistent with the cardio being walking or running. That is where you will really start burning fat and becoming healthy.
Peterbythesea

Post by Peterbythesea »

Not by itself, no. No exercise is really good at burning fat. You simply cannot exercise out of a bad diet or fix being overweight by exercise alone.

The articles below are worth the read as they summarise without too much jargon the current state of knowledge re exercise type, diet and fat burn.

https://physiqonomics.com/cardio-or-weights/
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ca ... s#section6

If the primary aim is fat burn then incorporating weight training will multiply the effects. If you are time short HIIT or SIT could be really beneficial. There has been some amazing counter intuitive sports science just published on this.

https://runrepeat.com/sprint-interval-training

However I would suggest researching out weight training as the first step and incorporate with the walking, as consistency is key and if you enjoy walking then it will be easier to keep up.

If you want to supercharge the fat loss then intermittent fast and then train when in a fasted state.

None of this will work well if your diet is crap. As the article above points out two latte's a day is 400+ calories which is 2 hours walking on a flat surface:

https://www.healthline.com/health/calor ... ed-walking

So if you are not watching what is going in, then it really will not matter how much exercise you do. Fat deposition is primarily caused by insulin spiking in the blood after carb heavy meals so by reducing the amount of simple carbs and processed food eaten you can achieve amazing results especially when combined with a good exercise regime.

Hope this helps

Cheers
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Peterbythesea wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 am
If you want to supercharge the fat loss then intermittent fast and then train when in a fasted state.

None of this will work well if your diet is crap. As the article above points out two latte's a day is 400+ calories which is 2 hours walking on a flat surface:

https://www.healthline.com/health/calor ... ed-walking

So if you are not watching what is going in, then it really will not matter how much exercise you do. Fat deposition is primarily caused by insulin spiking in the blood after carb heavy meals so by reducing the amount of simple carbs and processed food eaten you can achieve amazing results especially when combined with a good exercise regime.
Very true - as the old saying goes, "Abs are made in the kitchen!". :D
Newage

Re: Is walking any good for burning fat

Post by Newage »

DebraIncem wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am Walking as exercise.
Does it really do you good?
Does it reverse osteoprosis?
Does it make you fit?
Can it help you lose weight?
Does it make you feel good?
Is it a cardiovascular event?
Is it good for low back concerns?
What do you think?

Welcome to the forum Debralncem.
In my opinion very beneficial for all of the above. I use to have all my athletes walk at least 1 to 2 Klms barefoot on the grass after competing. Resets and cools down all the tendons and muscles...

Newage

Post by Newage »

Jimmy4324 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 am Routine is much important to maintain to see the results from walk or any exercise. In my routine I do walk before starting my running. It helps me in increasing blood flow to muscles and make them flexible.

Spot on Jimmy4324.
I walk or bike ride to warm up before running.
A longer warm up if I’m going to do fast intervals..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic