NutritionDepleted Methyl Groups and advanced age

ChrisBON

Depleted Methyl Groups and advanced age

Post by ChrisBON »

I just had a general question.

If someone who is already elderly (80+) and somewhat frail, easily tired... could part of this be due to having low or depleted methyl groups.

Or to put it another way. Is there a good supplement to give a very elderly person who may start taking NMN to avoid depletion?

jocko6889

Re: Depleted Methyl Groups and advanced age

Post by jocko6889 »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 pm I just had a general question.

If someone who is already elderly (80+) and somewhat frail, easily tired... could part of this be due to having low or depleted methyl groups.

Or to put it another way. Is there a good supplement to give a very elderly person who may start taking NMN to avoid depletion?

David Sinclair used to take TMG as an insurance policy against depleted methyl groups, however he's recently changed and is using both methyl B-12 and methyl folate instead.  Methyl groups are important in synthesis of both creatine for muscles and dopamine for the brain.  Depletion of methyl groups can cause muscle fatigue and/or mental problems like depression.

ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

jocko6889 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:39 pm methyl B-12 and methyl folate instead

Thanks for the quick reply Jocko.

So to follow up, could someone have depleted Methyl groups without taking any NMN? Could it be an age issue?

Also regarding the above 2 methyl groups: is this something one can purchase?

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

ChrisBON wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 am
jocko6889 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:39 pm methyl B-12 and methyl folate instead

Thanks for the quick reply Jocko.

So to follow up, could someone have depleted Methyl groups without taking any NMN? Could it be an age issue?

Also regarding the above 2 methyl groups: is this something one can purchase?

Not sure if it's an age issue but anyone can have depleted methyl groups, which can be dangerous.

When you have depleted methyl groups, bad genes like cancer causing oncogenes are turned “on” and good genes like cancer preventing tumor-suppressor genes are turned “off.”  Here's a list of why you need methyl groups:

https://www.biocare.co.uk/news/10-signs ... pport.html

Most methyl B-12 is sold as a lozenge.  I prefer to take mine in a capsule along with all my other supplements in the morning, so I use NOW brand methyl B-12, 5,000mcg sold on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N4JZCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also take Methyl Folate, 1,000mcg from Nutricost:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8C9N97/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ssslyr

Post by ssslyr »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 pm I just had a general question.

I second the recommendation of b12 and folate.

B12 as methylcobalamin, daily (sublingual or liposomal spray) and as adenosylcobalamin perhaps weekly. (Please avoid cyanocobalamin shots for your frail elder.)

FOLATE as l-methylfolate or l-5-methylfolate, but *never* as folic acid.

In addition, for the methylation cycle, you might want to supplement with SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine).

I have found that huge gains for frail elders are possible, and quickly, with these supplements. (If you see changes, be sure to add in potassium, assuming no kidney disease. I prefer glucontate, which dissolves nicely in water and can be drunk through the day, and I think more effective than citrate.)

While these supplements (and others) have been key to my survival, I am not a doctor, so be sure to consult yours if you have any doubts.

Biohacking since 2014. Still alive.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Very cool!

Thanks guys.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

ssslyr wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:14 pm FOLATE as l-methylfolate or l-5-methylfolate, but *never* as folic acid.

In addition, for the methylation cycle, you might want to supplement with SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine).

Just curious, why the 2 forms? What is the thinking behind this?

ssslyr

Post by ssslyr »

ChrisBON wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm
ssslyr wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:14 pm FOLATE as l-methylfolate or l-5-methylfolate, but *never* as folic acid.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you please restate?
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

ssslyr wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:26 pm
ChrisBON wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you please restate?

Yes i was asking why I'd want to use both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
ssslyr

Post by ssslyr »

Yes i was asking why I'd want to use both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
Ah. Because bodies need both forms, and the ability to convert between them is both variable and may degrade with age. I recommend MeCbl daily. AdCbl gets stored in the liver and doesn't need as frequent replenishment. AdCbl is available in sublingual tabs only, unless you have seriously good connections. :)

You might be surprised at the difference (native, bioavailable) B12 can make. I've had people rush up to me in gratitude for changing their lives--from B12.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic