NutritionDepleted Methyl Groups and advanced age

NewLifeScience

Re: Depleted Methyl Groups and advanced age

Post by NewLifeScience »

ssslyr wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:43 pm
Yes i was asking why I'd want to use both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
Ah. Because bodies need both forms, and the ability to convert between them is both variable and may degrade with age. I recommend MeCbl daily. AdCbl gets stored in the liver and doesn't need as frequent replenishment. AdCbl is available in sublingual tabs only, unless you have seriously good connections. :)

You might be surprised at the difference (native, bioavailable) B12 can make. I've had people rush up to me in gratitude for changing their lives--from B12.

Very interesting.

I think I will try this with my mother. She has ongoing fatigue and it has gotten far worse since a bout of pneumonia 2 years ago.

This would be so awesome if it helps. I will follow up on this.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I agree that this is very interesting.

This forum is an extremely rare gem of knowledge, I really appreciate being a part of it, as a lay person.

Anything to improve the lives of our aging relatives.

If I notice anything, I will report back.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

So I have also read on here where too much NMN can lead to depleted methyl groups. So it may follow that if we want to consider carefully how much NMN is given to someone who is elderly, especially if they suffer from frailty.

I recall my grandfather getting B12 shots, decades ago. So that makes me think it is an issue with elderly, as  i have heard this is something a lot of elderly people would get occasionally from their Family Doctors.

Lots of good information and discussion on this forum. :)
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

so this stuff is very  inexpensive as we don't have to use it all the time, and it may be good to have it around if you are feeling fatigue - since my experience with NMN is the very opposite of fatigue, and also the experience of most of us here.

So it would be handy to have that particular derivative of B12 and methylfolate around.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Well this is good information that i have already acted on.

I don't know if I feel any different. We had a family thing that was really tough in February... but my mental energy is improved.

I also give an elderly parent NMN, so I will add in these 2 supplements to support this process.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

I am still highly suspicious that taking NMN and NAD+ blew my entire nervous system last year. I developed severe insomnia and panic attacks after weeks of taking both NMN and NAD+. I also have the homogenous MTHFR gene mutation which makes me very bad at methylating in the first place. Can't help but wonder if I depleted my methyl groups to the point I ruined my health over this supplement. I wish I had more answers. 

CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

JamesD wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm I am still highly suspicious that taking NMN and NAD+ blew my entire nervous system last year. I developed severe insomnia and panic attacks after weeks of taking both NMN and NAD+. I also have the homogenous MTHFR gene mutation which makes me very bad at methylating in the first place. Can't help but wonder if I depleted my methyl groups to the point I ruined my health over this supplement. I wish I had more answers. 

Have you tried Vitamin B12 and Follate?

i don't know much about this mutation... but from what i know about NMN or NAD+ the effects would eventually wear off after one stops taking them (which of course is why i don't).

What else was going on in the past year?

I am not a doctor but there are several hear who may be able to help you sort this out.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Well i am glad I asked about this, as I have been giving an elderly parent NMN for 7 months now.

I notice she walks more upright and complains of exhaustion a bit less. She is 85, so this is very good.

I also give her the B12 and Folate derivatives, so I don't have to worry about burning those methyl groups.

We are also working on removing a stressful situation from the equation and then i may be able to report better gains. Time will tell.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

ChrisBON wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:24 pm Well i am glad I asked about this, as I have been giving an elderly parent NMN for 7 months now.

I notice she walks more upright and complains of exhaustion a bit less. She is 85, so this is very good.

I also give her the B12 and Folate derivatives, so I don't have to worry about burning those methyl groups.

We are also working on removing a stressful situation from the equation and then i may be able to report better gains. Time will tell.

What do you think of Fisetin? I am thinking of the 2 days one 26 days off. Would you think it is safe to try for a few months?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic