Nutritionoatmeal and it's role in the gut

NewLifeScience

oatmeal and it's role in the gut

Post by NewLifeScience »

I have heard Dr. Rhonda Patrick talk about how oatmeal can improve the level of healthy gut bacteria in our intestines, but she doesn't cite sources in her YouTube videos (that i know).

I have heard her say that oatmeal taken regularly (without sugar i am sure) can bring about great change in the gut biome.

I suppose the Beta-Glucan is the active ingredient, but i am wondering what some of you folks have read/discovered.

here is an article discussing oatmeal and its role in the gut.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6217528/

Newage

Re: oatmeal and it's role in the gut

Post by Newage »

NewLifeScience wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 am I have heard Dr. Rhonda Patrick talk about how oatmeal can improve the level of healthy gut bacteria in our intestines, but she doesn't cite sources in her YouTube videos (that i know).

I have heard her say that oatmeal taken regularly (without sugar i am sure) can bring about great change in the gut biome.

I suppose the Beta-Glucan is the active ingredient, but i am wondering what some of you folks have read/discovered.

here is an article discussing oatmeal and its role in the gut.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6217528/

The Beta-Glucan has significant cholesterol lowering properties and enhances good bacteria in the gut. 
Because of daily intermittent fasting my oatmeal ends up as part of my “after 2 pm meal”
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I have a link to one of the discussions she has with Joe Rogan about gut bacteria.

Essentially, gut bacteria in the lower intestine need fiber and if they do not get it, they 'cannibalize' the membrane of the intestine, which i am confidence leads to severe inflammation at the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMUdWiRKIyo

Also low fiber diets can be beneficial for certain bad bacteria that end up in the small intestine - which is also not good.

So oatmeal and other fiber foods are highly recommended for gut health. 
thomasdmd

Post by thomasdmd »

It's a bit of a trade off with Oatmeal.  You get the high fiber benefit, but it comes with high carbs. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family so I had to give it up
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

thomasdmd wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 am It's a bit of a trade off with Oatmeal.  You get the high fiber benefit, but it comes with high carbs. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family so I had to give it up

I hear you. I think i would treat Oatmeal as a daily supplement. Maybe all you need is a large tablespoon of cooked oatmeal.

In Canada a big source of fiber could be Metamucil.  Enough to help the gut, but not enough to count as a 'carb' meal.

OzSport

Post by OzSport »

On a side note but somewhat related, this thread got me thinking about what the differences are between the main types of oats out there (rolled, steel-cut, quick), and I came across this article that has some good information on the three different types:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ro ... #nutrition

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I think the best way to have oats is "Fermented Oats". Its really easy to prepare and awesome for the microbiome.
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 am I think the best way to have oats is "Fermented Oats". Its really easy to prepare and awesome for the microbiome.

I agree drkris69 and topped with 20 large pitted dark Cherries (frozen for availability all year round) for their anti inflammatory properties.🍒

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Is it the Beta-Glucan that is giving the benefit?

If so, then the recently discussed Reishi mushroom powder could be consumed with tea or as a tea.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

well NewLife
If you are taking the Reishi (ganoderma lucidum) then you have likely already performed the switch in your gut.

It may even make you feel "full".

I'd be curious if you found yourself losing more weight...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic