Exerciseisometrics

canadahealthy

isometrics

Post by canadahealthy »

Is this a familiar term to folks here?

Is it simply a system of exercises using resistance with other limbs (usually our hands) to stretch and strengthen muscle groups on the body.

I am running every second day, and I am up to 5km per run. On the off days I spend about 10 minutes doing isometrics for my:
biceps
triceps
forearms
chest
lats

And it is very noticeable.

I am planning to get a used bowflex in the next few weeks.  But it is really cool to be losing body fat and see muscles emerging where fat was earlier.

This pandemic is a major opportunity for me to feel/look/act/and be younger!

Newage

Re: isometrics

Post by Newage »

canadahealthy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 pm Is this a familiar term to folks here?

Is it simply a system of exercises using resistance with other limbs (usually our hands) to stretch and strengthen muscle groups on the body.

I am running every second day, and I am up to 5km per run. On the off days I spend about 10 minutes doing isometrics for my:
biceps
triceps
forearms
chest
lats

And it is very noticeable.

I am planning to get a used bowflex in the next few weeks.  But it is really cool to be losing body fat and see muscles emerging where fat was earlier.

This pandemic is a major opportunity for me to feel/look/act/and be younger!

Take a look at the body definition in elite athletes that train and compete with the
“Roman Rings” in their sport.
The majority of their discipline is all isometric resistance...

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

It is a great idea especially if you can't go to the gym.

But for resistance exercise you can't beat Bowflex.

No need to buy new either. A lot of people are selling their barely used Bowflexes for a fraction of retail.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

I hadn't heard of this until you mentioned it. And i have watched a few videos and read a couple articles.

Some people are old school (flex and hold) and many strongly recommend using it, but with a full range of motion to get the maximum benefit. Also there is the squeeze (like you'd do at the top of a curl with weights to get that last peak benefit.

But using our bodies as a gym is a great idea while gyms remain a less safe option.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Ah yes, isometrics - small and concentrated movements but you definitely feel the burn after!  :D

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

We were taught this in high school and i found i could do pretty much anything for my upper body, except abs, but we all did crunches or sit ups for them.

For legs/thighs/calves it was a lot of stretching.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Well, i think that since a good percentage of our numbers here are a bit older than average.

I believe that nothing will keep us more motivated to follow this program than getting toned and even more muscular.

Lean muscle mass also help or bodies burn calories at the most optimum level.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

The benefit i think is to have resistance right to the end of each movement, increasing gains in a shorter time.

Newage

Post by Newage »

canadahealthy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 pm The benefit i think is to have resistance right to the end of each movement, increasing gains in a shorter time.

For the lungs also. Full lungs at the time of maximum exertion for each individual rep..💪

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Well i have had some pretty good gains with this. Shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps, forearms, lats and middle back.

I do think it will be time for a machine like the bowflex... or i just have to do a longer workout with isometrics.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic