ExerciseArticle: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

OzSport

Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by OzSport »

A super short and sharp article on how to exercise to promote longevity:

https://amp.mindbodygreen.com/articles/ ... -longevity

Coles Notes version: 
- Activate fast-twitch muscles (do HIIT workouts)
- Incorporate light strength training

canadahealthy

Re: Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by canadahealthy »

Interesting. You are right about both... short and sharp.

I currently do distance running, on a nice safe treadmill with adjustable incline. During my 'runs' i do sprints where i am running at a fair clip, but I wouldn't characterize it as an explosive burst.

I finally got my punching/kicking bag. I am just waiting for the gloves. This will definitely be several examples of explosive movements. It has been over 10 years since i last used a bag, but it is an absolutely excellent way to fight stress, get extreme cardio and get strength, and it is essentially a High Intensity Interval type of workout - no question.

So I am not sure about the research here, but i got this covered. :)
OzSport

Re: Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by OzSport »

Well done, canadahealthy!  Yes, boxing is a great exercise - a friend of mine has done the cardio class called "Boxercise" which incorporates traditional boxing drills with cardio components and he says it's a fantastic work-out!
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

To me, there are so many reasons to use a punching/kicking bag, most of all to reduce stress.

I think it is engaging the fight in our fight vs. fight impulse, and therefore allowing you to act physically without that conflict going on in the brain.

not to mention the burst activity described above, the toning for your muscles, and the clearing of your skin, flushing of the sweating. expanding your thermo-neutral zone.

Just don't break your wrist on the first day!
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Haha, yeah --
exercise = good
break wrist = bad   :D

rockeyyyadav

Post by rockeyyyadav »

please give me tips for exercise  at hotme
jassica07marry

Post by jassica07marry »

rockeyyyadav wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:15 am please give me tips for exercise  at hotme

You may do two exercise that are really helpful. 
- Planks
- Squats
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

rockeyyyadav wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:15 am please give me tips for exercise  at hotme

Well  depending on your level of fitness, nothing beats the treadmill, especially if you get one with both adjustable speed and  incline.

You can start by doing a brisk walk for 10 minutes, no incline and then gradually add in incline, then up your speed for a couple to a few minutes and then lengthen the duration.

I am essentially a lazy person, but once i get on the treadmill, i usually end up doing around 40 minutes and it does nothing but make me feel good.

Also, you may want to watch YouTube videos about Core exercises. Essentially you can strengthen the muscles around your lower back, sides and abdomen. This just makes your life more pleasant and then gives you the ability to take on any other exercise.

I would just add start small, even a couple minutes on each. You can move mountains a minute at a time.
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

My tips would be exercise daily for at least 5 days in the week (but have one or two days of rest). 
The quicker useful exercises that should be done daily are as previously mentioned, the plank, squats with some weights and dead lifts as these are all body exercises and hip hinging is very important. Bench press or press ups. Hanging from a bar to improve hand grip. Standing on one leg and moving the head from side to side to improve balance (and if that is too easy, do it with your eyes shut)!!
As for aerobic exercise one 20 minute high intensity session per week with  hours of low intensity (breathing faster but still able to hold a conversation) broken into 3 or 4 sessions will do you the power of good. This can be done on a treadmill or a bike. (If you have neither, its a very fast walk or very slow jog).
MJClark

Post by MJClark »

This article is reassuring for me. 

I have very limited time during week days to workout. My wife works as a nurse and gets up at 5:00 AM every morning and I get up when she does. I have 30 minutes to workout and have been doing a weight lifting routine that a trainer friend recommended every other day. This uses a HIIT style format, but with weights and supersets. It is all dumbbell activity at a moderate weight with higher reps (12 to 15) per set. There is a significant focus on explosive load and slow release. (1 count up, 3 to 5 counts down)

On non-weight days, I will do a 30 minute interval jog/sprint/jog exercise or a 30 minute interval peloton ride. 

On weekends, I will have one traditional gym day that is between 60 and 90 minutes long with heavier weights and longer rest periods between sets, and the other will be a longer run, jog, or bike. 
If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic