Bioage TestingOn the Clock - How old are you for your age?

jocko6889

On the Clock - How old are you for your age?

Post by jocko6889 »

Scientists who study aging have begun to distinguish chronological age: how long it's been since a person was born, and so-called biological age: how much a body is "aged" and how close it is to the end of life.

These researchers are uncovering ways to measure biological age, from grip strength to the lengths of protective caps on the ends of chromosomes, known as telomeres. Their goal: to construct a comprehensive set of metrics that predicts an individual’s life span and health span—the number of healthy years they have left—and illuminates the drivers of, and treatments for, age-related diseases.

A team led by David Sinclair, professor of genetics in the Blavatnik Institute at Harvard Medical School, has just taken another step toward this goal by developing two artificial intelligence-based clocks that use established measures of frailty to gauge both chronological and biological age in mice.

"We are working to predict mouse health spans so we can quickly assess the effectiveness of interventions intended to extend life and move toward doing the same one day in humans," said Sinclair, senior author of the study, published Sept. 15 in Nature Communications.

The work marks the first time a study has tracked frailty for the duration of a mouse's life, the authors said.

"It can take up to three years to complete a longevity study in mice to see if a particular drug or diet slows the aging process," said co-first author Alice Kane, HMS research fellow in genetics in the Sinclair lab. "Predictive biometrics can accelerate such research by indicating whether an intervention is likely to work."

For more, click the link below:

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/clock

rhett

Re: On the Clock - How old are you for your age?

Post by rhett »

The Frailty Inferred Geriatric Health Timeline, or FRIGHT, clock gauges how biologically old a mouse is based on its frailty status.
 The Analysis of Frailty and Death, or AFRAID, clock predicts how much longer an old mouse has to live, up to one year ahead of time. Predictions in the study were accurate to within two months.
FRIGHT and AFRAID? Dr Sinclair really is having a laugh isn't he?
Newage

Post by Newage »

All studies aside it still gets back to how you feel taking the NMN and NAD+ molecules along with diet, intermittent fasting, exercise, other supplements and obviously mind set.
If all of this extends our lives so be it but in the short term it is all about the quality of life.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Newage I couldnt have said that any better! It really does boil down to how you are feeling when taking  these molecules.
daitoshi

Post by daitoshi »

Newage wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:20 pm in the short term it is all about the quality of life.

Totally agree - Gotta be sustainable for it to stick! 

I tried Keto for a while, but it made me miserable. All the carb-tracking and micronutrient-tracking just exhausted me, it felt like my entire life revolved around what I was allowed to eat, and micromanaging my meals, setting aside snacks and then the snacks not looking appetizing. (fat bombs were great up until about month 4, and then they started feeling disgusting rather than an indulgance) - I did lose some weight and felt a bit more alert/energetic, but it wasn't worth the trouble and the INTENSE carb-cravings that never went away. 

Now I do intermittant fasting, and that's SO MUCH NICER! My body WANTS to do that! I have a hearty breakfast, an early dinner, and I don't really get hungry during the day, so there's no munching or craving going on. I get to eat lots of vegetables (even high-carb ones) and don't really track micros at all. It's nice. 
Vitamin D3, Sulforaphane, NAD+, and Iron supplements are primarily what I do. I've been on daily Vit D since highschool due to chronically low levels, so adding a few other pills wasn't a hassle. 

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Welcome to the forum and yes I too do I.F. and have great results.
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 »

In the question ON the Clock, "How OLD are you for your Age? " there is an assumption of continuous aging from some point, birth?  And this is the way I felt for 77 years, aging slowly, occasionally more noticeably due to the declining use of some faculty. My efforts to eradicate Aging started about 4 years ago , with Basis, a NR anti-aging supplement offered in capsule form.Coupled with a change in nutrition to a more Keto plan, with some freedom on weekends for Pizza and Bluebell ice cream, to avoid deprivation, it seemed to inspire more commitment to exercising, a thing I had a life long avoidance for. But Pickleball introduced the missing ingredient, Social Fun! It's addition to suiting up and showing up in the rainy cold became apparent, in greeting 20-30 warming smiles for each effort to leave cozy home seclusion, for a friendly challenge across the net by only a first name stranger. Slowly, the Titanic of mid-drift fat bulges and floppy underarms withered away, to be replaced by a spring in your step, and stamina, not known for twenty years. Enter AlivebyNature . This was the Afterburner to arrest aging, reverse further degeneration of my body, and offer the option of reversing the Chronological Clock. Almost daily, there are little things that emerge in consciousness to confirm this.
 For and older person, it becomes more of a moment stopper to be able to suddenly do something you've felt slipping away. First in stronger awareness, as the body re-tunes, then in cognitive ability to form a complete thought and express this with full recall of the associative memories attached to it. Finally, confirmation from friends and family, that you "look younger" and your life is becoming progressively so.
So for Me it's not a clock that's determining my age, it's LIFE flowing back into my mind and body, with the promise of Wholeness returning, I once knew. 
Each of us starts from a different mark on the track of Time, with unique minds and bodies. The Constant in all of this is AlivebyScience.  
We can all benefit in some way from the Discoveries of Dr. Sinclair's Harvard Medical groups science. The Gift of this is to share our new Life.
Ben , Pickleball101, 81 
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic