LongevityArticle: "Dental: Oral Health is the Key to Longevity"

OzSport

Article: "Dental: Oral Health is the Key to Longevity"

Post by OzSport »

Check out this short but interesting article about the importance of dental health in regards to longevity:

https://mspmag.com/health-and-fitness/a ... longevity/

jessicaP

Re: Article: "Dental: Oral Health is the Key to Longevity"

Post by jessicaP »

I think this topic needs more attention.

Up there with inflammation and drinking and smoking, it bad dental and oral health can lead to bad outcomes, including heart disease and even cancer.

I once had to digitally prepare several Dental Hygienist type courses for an online learning website. I was forced to proof each page. Dental Hygienists are trained to act as front line sentinels looking for trouble from what they see in your mouth.

I started flossing every day soon after starting that project.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Agree 100% that 'a' key to longevity is to target good dental health. Compare what what you get with poor dental health; the pain, discomfort, pick your dental treatment if you can afford it, infection, smell and strong association with cardiovascular disease to name a few!

Here is something that helps - I was inspired when watching this a few months ago, just like Rhonda I am now addicted to xyltitol gum :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0GoCGR0Uas

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

jessicaP wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:11 pm I think this topic needs more attention.

Up there with inflammation and drinking and smoking, it bad dental and oral health can lead to bad outcomes, including heart disease and even cancer.

I once had to digitally prepare several Dental Hygienist type courses for an online learning website. I was forced to proof each page. Dental Hygienists are trained to act as front line sentinels looking for trouble from what they see in your mouth.

I started flossing every day soon after starting that project.

Yup. I agree.

If we were to list the big 5 things to focus on, i guess I would have these groups

1. NMN / NAD+ / Fasting

2. Senolytics

3. Anti-inflammation

4. Exercise

5. Oral Health

I really don't think we can afford to skip any one of these.
thomasdmd

Post by thomasdmd »

I'm a dentist, but feel the current research and treatments are directed too much at killing all bacteria instead of optimizing the oral flora (good bacteria).  Chlorinated water, fluoride, artificial sweeteners, medications and mouth rinses all kill bacteria, good and bad. Much of the need for toothpastes and mouth rinses has to do with our diets.  As research goes on I feel  they will find find that the ideal diet will be closer to a paleo diet with an emphasis on probiotics from food and supplements.
Newage

Post by Newage »

thomasdmd wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:07 am I'm a dentist, but feel the current research and treatments are directed too much at killing all bacteria instead of optimizing the oral flora (good bacteria).  Chlorinated water, fluoride, artificial sweeteners, medications and mouth rinses all kill bacteria, good and bad. Much of the need for toothpastes and mouth rinses has to do with our diets.  As research goes on I feel  they will find find that the ideal diet will be closer to a paleo diet with an emphasis on probiotics from food and supplements.

Totally agree with your thoughts thomasdmd..

s1ssasLs2

Post by s1ssasLs2 »

I didn't realize that dental health could have such an impact on longevity.
LaWzssts

Post by LaWzssts »

I absolutely agree with the article! I'm a big proponent of dental health and its importance in overall health and well-being.
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

Totally agree with this.

I know when patients are a bit older, the dentist is reluctant to remove problematice teeth if it means the patient would then need dentures or not have enough teeth to eat tougher foods. But the bacteria on a bad tooth is not worth it.

I know for example, if you ever were bitten by another human (crazy analogy, I know) you best rush to the hospital for antibiotics, because plaque bacteria can kill you very quickly.

IK grew up where there was flouride in our water until i was a teenager. It was very controversial, so it was removed. But compared to people my age who did not have it, my teeth are in excellent shape at 60. I have them all and have zero cavities.

I am actually suprised how many people my age have plates or dentures. I hope the newer generations have better access to dental health care.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic