NMNNMN Cycling

NYhealth

NMN Cycling

Post by NYhealth »

Happy New Year everyone!

I've noticed that most of you that post in this forum cycle NAD+ Boosters (NMN).  I've read David Sinclair's book, 'Lifespan' where he takes 1 gram of NMN every day (along with the same dose of metformin and resveratrol).

I am currently cycling 5 days on 2 days off based upon what I've read in this forum- however, after reading Sinclair's book I am thinking of discontinuing that.

Why do you cycle NMN and is there any supporting documentation that suggests one should?

Thank you very much for your answers and I hope all of you have a healthy 2021!

AlbertY

Re: NMN Cycling

Post by AlbertY »

Hmmm, I think David does metformin cycling, like not taking it at the day of exercise, as it blocks the benefit of exercise. I'm also curious about the underlying reason for NMN cycling.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I take a day off a week from NMN and all supplements. I have found no science backed studies that specifically support this for NMN other than a gut feel (just makes sense) and in the end want my body to experience a day without supplementation to not forget "normal".

In relation to cycling, Resveratrol is a good example. I take that as well but drop it in this case for 2 days in a week. As I have been on my supplement journey over the past 18 months I instigated regular blood and gut bacteria testing to measure what is going on. It was detected that Resveratrol hampered some of my good gut bacteria and it declined in quantity.  My microbiome coach advised that they had been detecting impact on gut bacteria from their clients taking Resveratrol and classify it as a "powerful anti-microbial". They advised me to take time off or reduce use  - I dropped to 5 days per week vs 7 days to give my little frends a break and my microbiome improved again at next testing.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I can't remember what make me decide to cycle it. (i toggle b/w 1 or 1 time per week). I think since I also fast for up to one day and take a truck load of other things, that I like to keep my body guessing. It also stretches your supply.

Others call it homeostasis, where I am assuming the body adjust to a new routine and may stop responding the same way. I am not sure that is the case with NMN, I think it will always generate NAD+ in our tissues.

In nature with fasting and stretching our bodys thermoneutral zone, or anything, it is often random.

I do take 500mg per day. I think it is fine if i skip a day or two so i do now and then.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Agree homeostasis, respecting our nature or evolution so keeping it random and a nice bonus as well that stretches supplies to save dollars :) 

I think in the end what we want is to ensure we are not to comfortable or maybe even too reliant on any supplement. Supplements should be exactly that, that is targeted supplementation personalized with measurement where possible, of course on top of a great diet, exercise, etc.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I do it as well.
usually just once per week.

occasionally twice.

Newage

Post by Newage »

One or two days per week off all supplements for me.   I have always done that even before I started on the NMN and NAD+ journey..
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

I remember viewing an old Peter Attia video the other day and he mentioned about continual use of Resveratrol having a detrimental effect on the gut micro-biome. Again, it's another good reason to have a day or two off from the supplements. 
Knowing how important the gut microbiome is, I've moved to taking 3 days off for Resveratrol. 
NYhealth

Post by NYhealth »

Thank you for all of your great responses, they're much appreciated!  :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic