ExerciseAnti-aging, the heart, age and max heart rate.

canadahealthy

Anti-aging, the heart, age and max heart rate.

Post by canadahealthy »

So this may be obscure to some but on some treadmills there is a chart showing what an acceptable heart rate (beats per minute) is for your age (given in decades). When I passed 50, i thought it was something I should be paying more attention too.

It took me 3 months to get up to actual running for 15 minutes on the treadmill, that is, getting into the aerobic phase. I do push myself, but I am careful about heart rate.

The mayo clinic gives a simple calculation of the number 220 minus your age.

So if i am 51

My recommended maximum heart rate is 169.

But i feel i can round up roughly 5-6 points and work with that. I think my heart, after my anti-aging diet, supplementation, fasting and exercise, can take the extra push.

I am NOT recommending that to anyone else. I just wonder what some of you think.. I mean if you are anti-aging... what would that mean to you as far as your heart goes? Is it getting younger?

Mayo Article:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... 0exercise.

Added to this:
The American Heart Association generally recommends a target heart rate of:
  • Moderate exercise intensity: 50% to about 70% of your maximum heart rate
  • Vigorous exercise intensity: 70% to about 85% of your maximum heart rate

jessicaP

Re: Anti-aging, the heart, age and max heart rate.

Post by jessicaP »

I've seen those on machines. I have always aimed to stay in the zone.

I think my athletic days are behind me, so personally, i am not concerned about maxing out my heart rate.

But if we ever get to the point where we are literally taking the clock.... maybe the anti-aging Olympics?
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I think the key is the calculation that is "The mayo clinic gives a simple calculation of the number 220 minus your age". This calculation as general advice for the broader populations, probably based on the latest science over the past few decades is good, medicaly based advice.

I think though when you consider the sheer number of people with unhealthy lifestyles say in the US as a leading example with only "2.7% (95% CI, 1.9%-3.4%) of all adults had all 4 healthy lifestyle characteristics" . See: https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 4/abstract

So if you are one of the 3% so to speak i.e. fully prepared all health markers in the zone and fighting fit + of course powered by ABS :), you can assume that there is more wiggle room on the max heart range. I personally back myself as much but at the same time out of an abundance of caution don't do it to too much!
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

I wonder, if we manage to lower our biological age, if this would show up as an increase in our theoretical, and therefore actual, maximum heart rate???

Newage

Post by Newage »

RobSmith wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:23 am I wonder, if we manage to lower our biological age, if this would show up as an increase in our theoretical, and therefore actual, maximum heart rate???

Agreed. The 220 minus your age is a guide for the broad percentage of the population taking into account average fitness levels, obesity and   many other factors.
As we are all different at whatever age it can come down to how you feel during exercise and also being guided to a degree by your heart rate monitor..
Like all other muscles in the body, if they are disease free you “use them or lose them”

Last edited by Newage on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 »

After two years on a Keto nutritional program of only fresh food, 6 hours /week of Dr. Sinclair's requirement for a "Surge type exercise program" (Pickleball played at tournament challenged level), and 250 mg NMN, 250mg NAD+ with Renue, 600 mg Resveratrol DAILY, my reset age is back from 
80 to 60. My heart rate in play surges to 140-160, calming during rest periods of every other play. I believe occasionally during hi-intense play, when
I surge up to a higher plane of play, I may be at 180+. No dizziness, no ill effects. Adrenaline and testosterone pumping for up to 10 minutes to win.
That's the promise of Dr. Sinclairs research, and I AM Living It!
Ben, 79 AbyS 2 years.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Exactly pickleball.. I’m hearing you.
Every one to their own protocol. 

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

You can only admire pickleball for his efforts and his will. I hope Im like him when Im his age. ;)

Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:33 pm You can only admire pickleball for his efforts and his will. I hope Im like him when Im his age. ;)

Only (nigh on 30 years) to go Drkris69.
A bit of water to flow under the bridge in that period but here’s hoping you are at least in the same present condition as pickleball when that time eventually comes..

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I look forward to the opportunity of playing a game of pickleball with Ben at 105 and me at his age today then at 79, he will more than likely win as well (but I will give it a red hot go!) :)

It is not possible to live forever, everything ends! Even the universe when you zoom out far enough but inspired by people like Dr Sinclair it is nice to now experience, and see people experiencing that the ending is more likely to be a little later than expected and with good health :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic