ExerciseAnti-aging, the heart, age and max heart rate.

drkris69

Re: Anti-aging, the heart, age and max heart rate.

Post by drkris69 »

Thats true some of these heart monitors out there don't give true readings. But I too, love wearing one when training just to see if Im pushing myself.

RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

Newage wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:28 am Heart Rate Monitors are an important tool for training and exercise but can also be a “Crutch” and give the person a reason not to push themselves. Also HR Monitors have been known to occasionally spike from outside influences and give you an incorrect reading.
The fitter you are the lower your heart rate during maximum effort along with your sleeping HR.
The true reading from resting (asleep) to maximum effort is by way of a 24 hour Holter Monitor that will not be compromised.

I'm not sure it stops people pushing themselves if they can measure other metrics. For example, I'm going ever further in the exact same time period (to the second) but I've noticed recently that my peak heart rate has been a little bit lower. I'm actually pushing as hard as my legs will allow and as quick as they can clear the lactic acid. My overall feeling is that my overall cardiovascular system has become better or more efficient (dare I say younger), and indeed, having measured my blood pressure this morning, for the first time ever, I've had a resting heart beat below 60. 
Another metric one can consider is how much the heart rate reduces in the first minute after stopping exercise. When I first started my current regime around a year ago, my heart rate reduction in that first minute was only around 20 beats. Now every day it is over 30 beats. Again this must be a sign of an improved lung and cardiovascular system. 

Newage

Post by Newage »

All of the above improvements point to you becoming so much fitter and as you say 
“hopefully younger” with an improved cardiovascular system. Also a lot to do with your commitment to the cause...
Keep up the good work 👍

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

In 2005 after 1.5 years smoking free, i was taking in large amounts of coffee and running every day on my trusty treadmill.

I think a couple times i hopped on after my 3rd or 4th brewed coffee and experienced a prolapsing mitral valve while running pretty intensely. Strange feeling - losing all that pressure in the chest. All i did was slow down a bit.

Lol - when I went to my doctor, his only comment was to not have 3-4 coffees before running, but he also had my heart looked at incase there was any tearing (there wasn't). So that is the only caveat to my running.

Now, I do have a wonky mitral valve - and it's not very rare.

The funny thing is i later had a full physical which included running on another treadmill, only with a ridiculous incline... i could do it, but he said i may as well stop since my heart rate wasn't going to reach the target 160 or 180. He told me i had a runners heart (slightly larger) and to avoid excess coffee.

Newage

Post by Newage »

Yes. An athletes heart, like any muscle it will get larger from consistent use. In the hearts case only slightly larger but more efficient assuming there are no abnormalities.
Good advice to restrict caffeine intake before exercise with 4 brewed coffees you are looking at approximately 600 mg of caffeine give or take.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic