LongevityArticle: "How Fast We Age May Hinge on One Little Mineral"

OzSport

Article: "How Fast We Age May Hinge on One Little Mineral"

Post by OzSport »

Can you guess what that mineral is?!  

Yup, the OG longevity mineral of IRON!  

This is a very cool article about how it's not just the amount of iron, but also your genetic ability to process the iron that may affect one's longevity:

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/iron-and-longevity

Newage

Re: Article: "How Fast We Age May Hinge on One Little Mineral"

Post by Newage »

OzSport wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm Can you guess what that mineral is?!  

This is a very cool article about how it's not just the amount of iron, but also your genetic ability to process the iron that may affect one's longevity:

It’s a coincidence that you posted this OzSport as I have only just decided to use Iron infusion from my GP to bolster my iron to the upper levels of the range. As we probably all know, Iron can be poorly absorbed through the gut not to mention the possibility of stomach upset from orally taking it.

OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:22 pm
OzSport wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm Can you guess what that mineral is?!  

It’s a coincidence that you posted this OzSport as I have only just decided to use Iron infusion from my GP to bolster my iron to the upper levels of the range. As we probably all know, Iron can be poorly absorbed through the gut not to mention the possibility of stomach upset from orally taking it.

Yup, iron taken orally can indeed cause constipation, not fun!

That's really neat in regards to the iron infusion from your GP, I had never heard of that before -- do you need a referral to do that or can one just ask for an iron shot?
Newage

Post by Newage »

It’s all done under the one roof at the GP clinic that I use. The GP will obviously be guided by your last blood work and where your iron levels are at by way of your pathology results.
I am lucky that my GP gives me credit for knowing my own body... assuming my requests are not to outrageous. lol 😂 
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

I believe the point of the article is that too much iron is a bad thing - "The takeaway is that it is likely not a good idea to overload on iron supplements".

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Thats awesome Newage that you found a good GP that will do these services and listens to his or her patients! :D

Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:37 am Thats awesome Newage that you found a good GP that will do these services and listens to his or her patients! :D

Yes drkris69. Medical Practitioners that are  prepared to listen to their patients are not that easy to find..
It can be a beneficial cohesive relationship when you do find one as long as you do not “overstep the mark” and start to tell them how to do their job.  lol 😂 

OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:06 pm
drkris69 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:37 am Thats awesome Newage that you found a good GP that will do these services and listens to his or her patients! :D

Yes drkris69. Medical Practitioners that are  prepared to listen to their patients are not that easy to find..
It can be a beneficial cohesive relationship when you do find one as long as you do not “overstep the mark” and start to tell them how to do their job.  lol 😂 

I agree, they are indeed hard to find!  Glad to hear you've got a good GP, Newage!

CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

Is this something we can determine with a simple blood test? Isn't it the hemoglobin?

I myself really like my liver and onions. So I think i am good with iron. But i know iron absorption can go down with age.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic