LongevityThe Heart... what can we do for it

CeeJayBee

The Heart... what can we do for it

Post by CeeJayBee »

Ok, so I have a dear friend, over 85 who has been taking NMN for a while. She also has started with fisetin.

For all i know she could be benefitting to some degree. 

However she has some heart issues:
1. COnjestive heart failure : essentially the failure of the heart to adequately remove fluid from the lungs and elsewhere. This was recently discovered, but due to her 20 pound weight loss from the diuretics, i am thinking it has been plaguing her for some time
2. Regurgitating heart valves (mitral and tricuspid)
3. Arrhythmia 

I am thinking 2 and 3 could cause 1 ... but i don't know

What I am wondering is if some of the more progressive medical professionals on here are aware of studies that certain other supplements can help.

She is not on her death bed, but is on a very low degree of Oxygen and wants to bounce back... i would like to add any safe option to help, along with NMN and fisetin.

NewLifeScience

Re: The Heart... what can we do for it

Post by NewLifeScience »

I often peruse current and recent studies as they are published on the US National Institute of Health website. I do this by including "NIH" in the search term since that is their URL (nih.gov)

There are many studies concerning the use of NMN for heart health, and cardiovascular health.

Here is one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7576234/

I also searched Oleic acid since it acts on Sirtuins and is easily accessible (high concentrations in Olive Oil)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2544536/

Here is some encouraging information on the use of Resveratrol in studies by entering "heart health resveratrol nih" into Google in just one result:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413130/
JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

This is interesting! 

Thanks for sharing NewLifeScience. I hadn't realized how easy is can be to find a trusted source for current studies.

I suppose the NIH is a repository of published studies, but I wonder if they have more american studies or if they have worldwide sources.

But it is good to know that three substances can have such an impact on the heart. Very cool info about Olive oil. I can add that to my growing list.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

That's real good stuff New Life.  I struggled with HBP for years and only recently have it totally under control.  I have been using all three (NMN, resveratrol, and olive oil) since January, with exercising and eating better and my BP is now good.  Good to know there is some evidence I am on the right track.  Thanks for sharing.

TedB

Post by TedB »

There is a mushroom - one of the big ones in traditional chinese medicine. Ganoderma Lucidum... also known as Lingzhi or Reishi.

here is a link to a few studies ... i am practising the NIH searches on Google :)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31777019/

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I would say look into stemcell therapy. There are studies out there and patients I know that have benefited from this treatment. The valves were repaired.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Canada has a pretty good health care system, particularly for North America. Stem cell therapy is currently limited to a very small number of therapies. I would wonder what it would  cost to have it done in the US. Generally, in Canada if it's not paid for.. it generally isn't done - at least as far as i know.

I have long wondered about Congestive Heart Failure and it's possible link to constipation and/or urinary retention. If you are regularly constipated due to some medication and possibly also suffering from urinary retention  - where does the fluid go? Maybe congestive heart failure is a 2 way door.  If you help the body remove fluid better, maybe you can prevent and/or ameliorate the dangerous symptoms.

You may want to check with your friend how their digestive system is working, especially the constipation thing.. it can be very hard on the system.

I suspect NMN maybe help slightly with tissue strengthening and who knows? maybe a little bit of regeneration. I think NMN, Resveratrol and Olive Oil may be a good minimum start.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 pm  I think NMN, Resveratrol and Olive Oil may be a good minimum start.

I agree. This is a good combo for longevity in general and there are numerous studies pointing to the health benefits for the heart and our CVS.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I know sulforaphane isn't the only compound to work on repairing mitochondrial DNA. But is is fairly easy to make your onw broccoli sprouts and a bag of seeds can supply you for 2 years.

I put the sprouts in the freezer which dramatically amplifies the sulforaphane content and you can just put a sprinkle into a smoothie or a soup (at the last minute to avoid destroying an enzyme).

ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

It is unlikely to go over, but fasting can be a help even for an older person.

Sometimes they end up fasting without planning it, as elderly tend to have smaller appetites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic