NMNNMN brain tumor question

nycbhoy

NMN brain tumor question

Post by nycbhoy »

Hey there. Bear with me on this one. Probably a fairly long post. 

Started taking NMN and resveratrol a few years ago. About a year later I had some crazy vertigo out of the blue. Lasted less than a minute but next few weeks I had a lot of sensitivity to light and sound, some residual dizziness although no crazy spinning. 

had a battery of tests. Saw a few ENTs. Booodwork normal, hearing tests normal. Eventually saw a vertigo expert who thought likely BPPV / positional vertigo but sent me for an MRI. 

MRI showed something which radiologist thought was a tumor. Obviously a huge shock. Rushed to get a CAT scan and saw a (great) brain surgeon. He wasn’t so sure. Said could be a tumor or could be a cavernous malformation which sounds like a weird jumble of capillaries. He shared my scans with the tumor board at the hospital network and they leaned towards a cav mal. 

follow up scans three months later showed no change so we are in a wait and see / follow up in a year pattern unless I get any weird symptoms. 

sounds like the vertigo had nothing to do with whatever this is and this was an incidental finding. Could still be a tumor or could be a cavernous malformation which may or may not have been there forever. 

anyway, I obviously did some googling and there were some reports out there about NMN and tumors. Sounded like there was no evidence NMN could cause a brain tumor but maybe if you had one it could accelerate growth. I stopped taking NMN out of an abundance of caution and obviously am not here for medical advice but did want to see if anyone smarter / more knowledgeable than me had any thoughts or info on any of the above. 

cheers

Boxcost

Re: NMN brain tumor question

Post by Boxcost »

Out of an abundance of caution NMN is not recommended "if" one already has cancer.

Certainty not 3G/day (human equivalent) which is what they gave to the genetically engineered to get cancer mouse that accelerated its cancer growth. This is what had gotten everyone spooked at the time with NMN/Cancer.

NMN is very new when it comes to clinical trails and long term studies with humans. This site has a good collection of the science, they point to the studies as well. https://www.nmn.com/

As an example the one where it showed NMN would be protective against chemotherapy poisoning treating cancer. https://www.nmn.com/news/nmn-ears-resis ... oning-mice

If you search the web you will get back to my first statement from most of the credible / respected talkers in the field I guess.

From a conclusion of a review 5 years back says it well.....
"Moreover, while NAD+ precursor treatment is emerging as an efficacious intervention for the prevention of numerous age-related pathologies, the therapeutic potential for NAD+ precursors in cancer is not well understood. It is possible in some instances that boosting NAD+ metabolism could fuel cell proliferation and exacerbate cancer progression and metastasis. On the other hand, supplementation with NAD+ precursors could also prevent or shift cancer cell metabolism in a favorable manner and decrease uncontrolled proliferation. Therefore, the most optimal anticancer clinical strategy will likely involve individual patient profiling to identify treatments with maximal efficacy for the particular metabolic and genetic profile of the patient's cancer. "
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/ ... 518-055905
Newage

Post by Newage »

Yes. It’s a tricky one Boxcost..
I’m not sure which way I would go if (touch wood) I was diagnosed with any form of cancer and I don’t think any advice from the Medical Teams would shine any light on the positives versus the negatives across the situation.
As you say the type of cancer would play a part in the decision and I guess the personal beliefs of the patient.
A lot of people have died of Cancer in the past that have not been on NMN or NAD+ so which way to roll the dice would be the question..   :?

nycbhoy

Post by nycbhoy »

Thanks all. Appreciate the thoughts and insights.  Will likely avoid the NMN for the meantime out of an abundance of caution. Follow up scans in Feb so will see if they are better able to give a better indication of tumor vs cav mal at that point. 

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Hi nycbhoy,

On the "C" word, worth while to check this podcast out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MakS2iRkj1Q

In particular discussion and evidence on benefits of medically induced (or supervised) ketosis when fighting brain tumors, definitely worth watching.

All the best!

nycbhoy

Post by nycbhoy »

Boxcost wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:26 pm Hi nycbhoy,

On the "C" word, worth while to check this podcast out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MakS2iRkj1Q

In particular discussion and evidence on benefits of medically induced (or supervised) ketosis when fighting brain tumors, definitely worth watching.

All the best!

Thanks! Will check it out. 

Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

Hello there, sorry to hear about your tumor. I also have a brain tumor, a SEGA in my ventricles caused by tuberose sclerosis complex. This tumor was excised in 2018, but a piece of it remains wrapped around my fornix. I go back for imaging to monitor it's growth every year. I've been taking NMN since we 2020, and haven't seen any growth of my tumor since. Take this anecdotal evidence for however this helps inform your decision making process. I think NMN helps support healthy cell reproduction, as do my sauna, cold plunge, and exercise habits. Be well man, hope you get your brain tumor treated!
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Pseudonym wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:29 am

Hello there, sorry to hear about your tumor. I also have a brain tumor, a SEGA in my ventricles caused by tuberose sclerosis complex. This tumor was excised in 2018, but a piece of it remains wrapped around my fornix. I go back for imaging to monitor it's growth every year. I've been taking NMN since we 2020, and haven't seen any growth of my tumor since. Take this anecdotal evidence for however this helps inform your decision making process. I think NMN helps support healthy cell reproduction, as do my sauna, cold plunge, and exercise habits. Be well man, hope you get your brain tumor treated!

It is great to hear that NMN is helping, whilst yes anecdotal it does improve confidence in the use of what I believe is a very important supplement.

If I am ever diagnosed with a cancer, me personally I would not stop taking NMN, like you I believe NMN supports healthy cells and in my view not the dodgy cells of cancer!

Of course like anything "new" there is much still to learn so I also never recommend anyone with Cancer start taking NMN.
Newage

Post by Newage »

At 70 plus years of age the results of my last three very important screening tests as follows…

Ultra sensitive CRP test to measure inflammation in the body and a guide to wellbeing = 0.6 mg/ litre (exceptionally low levels as it can only be measured down to 0.5 over here)

Angiogram = Nil Plaque buildup in all Arteries around the heart 

Leg Ultrasound = The Ultrasound Technician said that I had the leg Arteries of a 35 year old.

Very hard to argue against the massive benefits of RBS NMN and NAD+…. :shock:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic