LongevityAn anecdote about inflammation and aging

NewLifeScience

An anecdote about inflammation and aging

Post by NewLifeScience »

When my uncle John was 20 years old (about 53 years ago) he was in a terrible car accident, and was even declared dead on arrival. Thankfully he survived, but he lost hearing in one ear, had his teeth rearranged, broke many bones and of course has a terrible head injury.

They didn't do much about head injuries back then. Today, I am certain they would have induced a coma, cut the top of the skull to address swelling pressure and did much to mitigate depression, body wide inflammation and had lengthy rehabilitation. He had none of those.

Naturally as a 20 year old he bounced back and was a strong and smart guy, he had a 35 year career as a draftsman.

As he approached his mid 50s he began to show mild signs of premature aging and hints of memory issues, He retired early at 60.

In the last 10 years of his life... he went from looking a bit old for his age to looking like someone in his 90s in his early 60s. The doctors always thought his wife was his daughter.

When i last saw him I could not believe what I saw. From the frailty, the thinness of his bones, the age spots and many other indicators it looked like he was about to die of old age right on the spot.

Now I know what really happened. His accident caused body-wide inflammation and hos tissues and bloodstream filled with inflammatory particles (biomarkers) which led to an acceleration of aging... his body was being torn apart from within. He died at 66, with dementia, of old age.

Imagine if he has started an antiinflammatory regimen right after the accident. And had proper treatment for his brain injury. Or even has this new blood plasma filtering treatment. I am convinced he would have reached his 80s and would still be around.

My mother was 12 years his senior and is still around and still looks far younger than he did the last several years of his life.

Inflamation related aging is preventable.  But it needs to be seen as a disease.

Newage

Re: An anecdote about inflammation and aging

Post by Newage »

Inflammation and oxidation within the body and cells can be one of the biggest threats to wellbeing and in my view can certainly speed up premature ageing.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Wow. That is a graphic description of what the consequences of a serious accident can be.

Clearly one of the treatments should be aimed at addressing body wide inflammation.

CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

A very telling story. I am sorry for your Uncle's early death. I do think you described what was going on very accurately.

Definitely when we have inflammation, we need to do everything we can to reduce it.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Other than an accident, the most common way people build up levels of inflammation is with the accumulation of senescent cells, which emit toxins called SASP factors that influence healthy cells around them to also become senescent, giving senescent cells their nickname of "zombie cells".  Once the influence of zombie cells sets in, this cascading reaction eventually overtakes the body and is one of the leading causes of old age.  Discovering a whole body senolytic that can destroy all senescent cells would be a major breakthrough in fighting the disease of old age.  Judith Campisi and others at the Buck Institute are making incredible strides in this area.

You can find out the level of inflammation in your body, hence take a peak inside the window into the possible advancement of systemic cellular senescence by taking an hs-CRP test, which measures the level of overall inflammation you have.  I take the Innerage 2.0 test offered by Insidetracker.com.  It's a blood test that looks at 15 different biomarkers of aging, one of which is hs-CRP.  In my opinion, it's probably the most important measure but there are others as well.  I have taken the test annually for 4 years and my levels have always been low, but the latest one is the lowest so far.  I believe it's due to taking Fisetin per the Mayo Clinic protocol.  Keeping this number low is a big deal.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

jocko6889 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:28 pm Other than an accident, the most common way people build up levels of inflammation is with the accumulation of senescent cells, which emit toxins called SASP factors that influence healthy cells around them to also become senescent, giving senescent cells their nickname of "zombie cells".  Once the influence of zombie cells sets in, this cascading reaction eventually overtakes the body and is one of the leading causes of old age.  Discovering a whole body senolytic that can destroy all senescent cells would be a major breakthrough in fighting the disease of old age.  Judith Campisi and others at the Buck Institute are making incredible strides in this area.

You can find out the level of inflammation in your body, hence take a peak inside the window into the possible advancement of systemic cellular senescence by taking an hs-CRP test, which measures the level of overall inflammation you have.  I take the Innerage 2.0 test offered by Insidetracker.com.  It's a blood test that looks at 15 different biomarkers of aging, one of which is hs-CRP.  In my opinion, it's probably the most important measure but there are others as well.  I have taken the test annually for 4 years and my levels have always been low, but the latest one is the lowest so far.  I believe it's due to taking Fisetin per the Mayo Clinic protocol.  Keeping this number low is a big deal.

Do you suspect Fisetin targets particles in the blood stream?

It sounds like it does. 

Or else maybe in the liver or kidneys.
eatsleepswim

Post by eatsleepswim »

Another company that will measure hs-CRP for $99 is https://www.everlywell.com/products/heart-health-test/. I noticed that the insidetracker test does not test hs-CRP for females, only males.

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

NewLifeScience wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:37 am
jocko6889 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:28 pm Other than an accident, the most common way people build up levels of inflammation is with the accumulation of senescent cells, which emit toxins called SASP factors that influence healthy cells around them to also become senescent, giving senescent cells their nickname of "zombie cells".  Once the influence of zombie cells sets in, this cascading reaction eventually overtakes the body and is one of the leading causes of old age.  Discovering a whole body senolytic that can destroy all senescent cells would be a major breakthrough in fighting the disease of old age.  Judith Campisi and others at the Buck Institute are making incredible strides in this area.

Do you suspect Fisetin targets particles in the blood stream?

It sounds like it does. 

Or else maybe in the liver or kidneys.

Fisetin induces apoptosis in senescent cells. 

Newage

Post by Newage »

Inflammation, Inflammation, Inflammation...
Keep it at very reduced levels and watch the body repair and right itself.
I believe it can sometimes be as easy as restricting all allergens be it food or environmental. Only my thoughts from personal experience.. 
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

It is sad to see people from a different generation suffering so much due to the different circumstances around their injuries and illnesses.

But the good news is it is never too late to do what you can to reduce inflammation in your body, particularly after injury.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic