LongevityMetformin Dosage?

Green2201

Metformin Dosage?

Post by Green2201 »

I recently received Metformin and am currently taking 250mg twice a day before my largest meals. My wife is doing the same. I’m wondering how much to take. Is it based on weight/sex/age/body composition? I kind of like the idea of using the minimum effective dose, but don’t want to take so little that it doesn’t work. How much is everyone taking and why?

jocko6889

Re: Metformin Dosage?

Post by jocko6889 »

Green2201 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 am I recently received Metformin and am currently taking 250mg twice a day before my largest meals. My wife is doing the same. I’m wondering how much to take. Is it based on weight/sex/age/body composition? I kind of like the idea of using the minimum effective dose, but don’t want to take so little that it doesn’t work. How much is everyone taking and why?
The usual dose is 500mg twice per day initially (a week or two usually), increasing to 1,000mg twice per day if you can tolerate it. It's not really based on weight/sex/age, etc. Taking it with meals helps. Metformin has been around for decades and is extremely safe.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I agree with jocko, but yes I would start with 500mg 2xday. Increase to 1g 2xday if you can tolerate it. I would always ask your provider if they are okay with the dose as well. Just to let you know, Dr. Sinclair takes 1g per day which seems to be a starting dose for most.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Just be cautious and watch out for nausea as this could happen if you jump up too fast. Always take with food.
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

For those who can't access Metformin, a sprinkle of cinnamon might be a good alternative - check this out:-

https://www.longevity.technology/cinnam ... -diabetes/ 

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I am jealous! There is just no way I can get my hands on that stuff in Canada.
evanb

Post by evanb »

NewLifeScience wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:34 pm I am jealous! There is just no way I can get my hands on that stuff in Canada.

Your physician can’t (or won’t?) prescribe it? If your hba1c, or even glucose really, is slightly elevated, they’ll have just cause to prescribe.

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I agree, even if it is just slightly elevated they should. Maybe next time before you go back to see your PCP go ahead and eat a dozen donuts 2 hrs before......LOL.Not medical advice. :D

Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 am I agree, even if it is just slightly elevated they should. Maybe next time before you go back to see your PCP go ahead and eat a dozen donuts 2 hrs before......LOL.Not medical advice. :D

Not Medical advice drkris69 lol 😂 but definitely “fun” advice...

zmm

Post by zmm »

I have bought from out of the country
no prescription needed, though it does take a few weeks to arrive

i didnt like the way i felt on it, and peter attia noticed that it effected his zone 2 lactate levels.
i switched to take acarbose (from same website) if i am going to have a significant amount of carbs, or berberine/cinnamon 

i have experimented with acarbose while wearing a glucose monitor, and 100mg can entirely suppress eating a bad meal. (i wouldnt do it too often). peter attia once jocked that they should give 100mg with every pizza delivery

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/search.a ... =Metformin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic