NMNStress and sugar

NewLifeScience

Stress and sugar

Post by NewLifeScience »

I don't know about others.. but in times of stress i often eat sweets.

This is turning into a stressful time for me - family stuff and i am really struggling with my sweet tooth. 

I was off Berberine for a while, but i think i will start using it again to fight the sugar.. i hope this current 'backsliding' with sweets doesn't last long. I think sugary items are very bad for me/us.

OMillsPA

Re: Stress and sugar

Post by OMillsPA »

I was at my best point about a month ago in twenty years.  Fastest bike times ever, good running times.  I took a blood test after being vegan for about 4 months.  Ok, but not great results.  Started drinking again.  Trying to quit.  We all back slide at times.  Life is hard.  I hope to get better too.  Try to hang in there.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Yeah, beer is part of my backslide too.

I think I have a bit of caregiver burnout. So I am not going to expect a lot until i have had a break - which is coming from other members of the family in a couple weeks.

Since alcohol is a sugar, i am betting it makes me crave sugar.

But if I get back on the treadmill (have been off for 3 weeks) I will report here. Running always leads to further improvements.

Plus, i feel less guilty taking my NMN and other supplements, since i am still doing great things for my body.

Thank you for responding OMills, good luck to you too
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I'm a care giver too.  My mom is 86.9.  I get no breaks.  She does not sleep well at night.  I wake up in the morning and the house is practically destroyed.  She doesn't remember what she did.  But it is a mess and not good.  I am constantly cleaning up after her.  It wears you out.  At times you break down.  But it is better than the alternative of not having them around.  I fear what comes next is worse.  Try to stay strong.
\

jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

Wow. Both of you are doing something incredible for your elderly parents... and i can only imagine what it is costing. In Canada we have a basic service that is sometimes avail able called respite service. It offers a few hours per week when you can get away.

It may even be possible to hire a PSW (personal support worker) to stay with your parent and even help with things like bathing and meals while you rest of get out.

I don't blame either of you for having a drink - you need to blow off steam some how.

Taking berberine is an excellent idea - it does lower the sugar levels and boost insulin resistance.

I hope both of you get more opportunities to take breaks. You need to do it.
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

So does Berberine act like Metformin? Are they very similar?
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

michaeljkelly wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:19 am So does Berberine act like Metformin? Are they very similar?

It acts very similar to Metformin, and has been shown in studies to manage glucose levels, boost insulin and metabolize lipids. Thus it can also lower cholesterol and triglycerides better than metformin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

Some quotes:

"berberine exhibited an identical effect in the regulation of glucose metabolism, such as HbA1c, FBG, PBG, fasting insulin and postprandial insulin"

and

"triglycerides and total cholesterol in the berberine group had decreased and were significantly lower than in the metformin group".
JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

I do find that eating some sweets usually means more sweets, so i try to avoid them altogether.

When i was growing up, we had dessert after every supper. So i thought it was the thing to do... we are a large family and none of us have kept up that tradition.

My go to for stress is a cup of tea with no milk or sugar. Never realized just how good and healthy it is.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Earl Grey tea on the back balcony as the sun sets. Very relaxing as over here, Spring slowly  turns into Summer.
TedB

Post by TedB »

canadahealthy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 am
michaeljkelly wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:19 am So does Berberine act like Metformin? Are they very similar?

It acts very similar to Metformin, and has been shown in studies to manage glucose levels, boost insulin and metabolize lipids. Thus it can also lower cholesterol and triglycerides better than metformin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

Some quotes:

"berberine exhibited an identical effect in the regulation of glucose metabolism, such as HbA1c, FBG, PBG, fasting insulin and postprandial insulin"

and

"triglycerides and total cholesterol in the berberine group had decreased and were significantly lower than in the metformin group".

Another great tool in the fridge. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic