NMNDosage when your still lethargic in the day, but insomnia at night

LiveLong

Dosage when your still lethargic in the day, but insomnia at night

Post by LiveLong »

I'm 43, work out, and take a large stack of vitamins/herbs/other supplements, so several things can be at play. I also have a possible medical condition that could be causing lethargy 

I just started last month on 250 mg on NMN, now on 500mg of the sublingual tablets. I want to say around the time I started 500 mg I've had sleep disturbance, though my energy still isn't where I'd like it to be in the day. It feels like I want to switch to the liposomal or work up to a gram to get the boost I feel I need in the day, but at my age and the sleep issues I'm wondering if its possible that I'm dealing with other issues sapping my energy that NMN can't combat and my NAD+ is fine already. 

I want to try the liposomal next month, as I heard only one 250 tablet should outpace the 500 of sublingual in delivery, but I heard its time released which may make the insomnia worse. 

What would you do?

NewLifeScience

Re: Dosage when your still lethargic in the day, but insomnia at night

Post by NewLifeScience »

Hi there and welcome to our forum!

I have had depression for decades and in the past had times when I was low energy and it was directly related to the depression. But that went away with better treatment.

More recently i have been the primary caregiver for my mother and there were times where I just couldn't get enough sleep due to prolonged stress. That has also largely resolved as I get more support.

But if these are not factors causing you to be lethargic, I would make it my top priority to find out the cause. That would be job one.

In the meantime. I will be honest and admit I used a sedative for sleep for many years. I just decided that getting good sleeps was more important than worrying about taking a 'drug'. (in my case 0.5 mg lorazapam). Others on here have more organic solutions. Needless to say you need your sleep.

You could try taking the Liposomal NMN very early in the morning (that is when i take it) and possibly it won't impact your sleep as much.

I hope you get to the bottom of the lethargy and resolve it.
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 »

Sleep comes as you need it. With aging , less, but often Bi-Phase, with split patterns. I never had any trouble over 80 years of sleeping, when fatigued. Hint, Exercise or do some hard physical work. The best way to stabilize your biology, is take a live culture 15-30 Probiotic before retiring. 
That starts the day right, with a balanced gut. One primary meal a day of primary veggy , low meat, healthy fat, low sugar nutrition will boost your energy levels offering intermediate 18 hour fasting from afternoon to next days meal. Review the Nutritional posts of successful Forum members on this site experiences.  Pickleball101
LiveLong

Post by LiveLong »

I think I've gotten part of the answer. For two days I randomly stopped taking my daily 500mg dosage and had even worse sleep than the other days.

When I started taking the 250 I had no sleep disturbance, and I think the sleep issues started a week after I went to 500

I'm going to assume the sleep disturbance is not NMN related.

As for my dosage, I'm also a big man, even though I'm 43. I'm 6'3 and over 200, so maybe at least 750 will do me given my body composition 

I have gut issues (SIBO), which I treat, and gluten sensitivity, and also zap my hormones with dutasteride for my hair which could/could not theoretically give someone a bit of chronic fatigue. Still, I'm going to assume that as I raise the dosage I will get a better kick. 500 is making me look better, and bringing back my fertility but maybe a gram will do
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

LiveLong wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm For two days I randomly stopped taking my daily 500mg dosage and had even worse sleep than the other days.

That really doesn't make much sense if it's related to NMN dosage.  NMN can stimulate the hypothalamus, which controls the rate of metabolism.  When you reach a certain dose, it can speed up metabolism to the point that you have trouble sleeping.  This doesn't seem to be the case with you, but there could be something else in your stack that is causing that side effect.  

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong »

Went up to 750 last night and also had a higher disturbance than on nights I take 500.

Does it take the body time to acclimate to certain dosages? 

Also, I felt better, less lethargic, on 250. Does taking too much have the reverse affect?
Newage

Post by Newage »

LiveLong wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:17 pm Went up to 750 last night and also had a higher disturbance than on nights I take 500.

Also, I felt better, less lethargic, on 250. Does taking too much have the reverse affect?

It is very rare to have feedback like yours and I believe “something else” is going on.
I’m not saying it is but check out my low levels of Testosterone Post on “Beginning a New Journey.” It may be a start to discuss it with your Pro Active Health Professional. A myriad of Health issues can be attributed to low levels  

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong »

Newage wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:04 pm
LiveLong wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:17 pm Went up to 750 last night and also had a higher disturbance than on nights I take 500.

It is very rare to have feedback like yours and I believe “something else” is going on.
I’m not saying it is but check out my low levels of Testosterone Post on “Beginning a New Journey.” It may be a start to discuss it with your Pro Active Health Professional. A myriad of Health issues can be attributed to low levels  

Thanks for the feedback!

Matter of fact, I've been taking drugs to zap my hormones to save my hair the last couple of years. Propecia first, and now a harder version of propecia in dutasteride. It plays with male hormones to say the least. 

I'm not sure that could be the answer and I will look into that deeper. 

I was notably lethargic prior to taking NMN, was just hoping the NMN would override the lethargy 
LiveLong

Post by LiveLong »

Went back to 250 and feel better than when I was on 500mg

I'm not an authority at all, but I saw a mouse study presented by a guy on YouTube, I believe, that said mice actually had more energy on 100mg/kg/day than 300mg/kg/day

study - Starts around the 3 minute mark

I don't know what dosages that would be on humans, but the theory that more is not always better in terms of energy with higher NMN dosages could be in play. 

I'm 6'3 and over 200 pounds, and at that weight 250 seems a weak dosage, but I work out - strength training and HIIT, sauna, take pterostilbene and am only 43 which may contribute to not needing as much NMN at this stage, I guess I will listen to my body  

MJClark

Post by MJClark »

LiveLong wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 am I'm 43, work out, and take a large stack of vitamins/herbs/other supplements, so several things can be at play. I also have a possible medical condition that could be causing lethargy 

I just started last month on 250 mg on NMN, now on 500mg of the sublingual tablets. I want to say around the time I started 500 mg I've had sleep disturbance, though my energy still isn't where I'd like it to be in the day. It feels like I want to switch to the liposomal or work up to a gram to get the boost I feel I need in the day, but at my age and the sleep issues I'm wondering if its possible that I'm dealing with other issues sapping my energy that NMN can't combat and my NAD+ is fine already. 

I want to try the liposomal next month, as I heard only one 250 tablet should outpace the 500 of sublingual in delivery, but I heard its time released which may make the insomnia worse. 

What would you do?

I had a similar experience to yours and discovered that when I focused on fixing the sleep issues, everything else fell into place. I now use a cpap and take magnesium, zinc, and melatonin before bed. I keep the room cold (65 in the summer and 61 in the winter), and make sure that I have no screens for at least an hour before bed. I also follow a very structured routine that includes getting up at 5am every day and getting to bed between 9 and 10 every night. 
If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic