Miscellaneous TopicsNew to forum Journey began with heart health

Urbanvets

New to forum Journey began with heart health

Post by Urbanvets »

Hi, have been on the forum a few weeks and added NMN 
to my stack so far.
My journey started with going beyond statins to try to prevent heart disease which runs in my family.
The below link is a free ebook that started me on my supplement journey and made me more knowledgeable then most of my doctors.
https://www.urantiagaia.org/en/vital/ti ... ller2.html

higly recomend a read, from there it went from The Great Cholesterol Myth , to  Life Extension articles and supplement, and finally to longevity research.
Thanks for documenting research and experience, it gives
 new users confidence in starting out with a new supplement.
Cheers
Howard

Newage

Re: New to forum Journey began with heart health

Post by Newage »

Urbanvets wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:34 pm Hi, have been on the forum a few weeks and added NMN 
to my stack so far.
My journey started with going beyond statins to try to prevent heart disease which runs in my family.
The below link is a free ebook that started me on my supplement journey and made me more knowledgeable then most of my doctors.
https://www.urantiagaia.org/en/vital/ti ... ller2.html

higly recomend a read, from there it went from The Great Cholesterol Myth , to  Life Extension articles and supplement, and finally to longevity research.
Thanks for documenting research and experience, it gives
 new users confidence in starting out with a new supplement.
Cheers
Howard

Welcome to the forum Urbanvets.
You are right in saying that traditional Western Medicine is not always the perfect answer to health issues.
The trick is to balance the knowledge of supplements combined with your Doctor’s medical advice and come up with a regimen that is suited to your way of thinking.. :idea:

Urbanvets

Post by Urbanvets »

Thanks Newage,
Just wish more doctor's were open to supplement research.  They all tell me the same thing, no research/evidence, when there is plenty published research in respectable journals.

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Welcome to the forum Urbanvets. Let us know if you have any questions.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Urbanvets wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:01 am Thanks Newage,
Just wish more doctor's were open to supplement research.  They all tell me the same thing, no research/evidence, when there is plenty published research in respectable journals.

Welcome to the “world” of Big Pharma Urbanvets…
The majority of Medical Practitioners have “blinkers on” when it comes to alternative treatments including supplements.
Unfortunately they are programmed to address most health issues with prescription medication only.
This obviously keeps the big dollars rolling in for the major drug manufacturing companies.  :roll:

OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

There is a lot of talk on the benefits of supplements on this site which is understandable and good.  However, one thing that is lacking is what to avoid.  4 years ago I had high blood pressure and seasonal allergies.  I don't have either now.   Back then I did not want to take drugs and felt I was getting old.  So I did research.  This is one site I found to be very informative and I buy my supplements mostly here.  But I also found sites on nutrition and diets.  I quit all dairy.  Including ice cream, milk, eggs, cheese, etc.  I am mostly plant based now.  I eat a small piece of meat for dinner only, mainly because I have to cook for someone else.  Two smoothies a day with wild blueberries, spinach, bananas, strawberries, orange juice, almond milk, spiralina, barley grass juice powder, cilantro, cherries and whatever else is in season or frozen.  I mix it up, but what I mentioned I do most every day.  I don't have high blood pressure or allergies anymore.  So what I am trying to say is that supplements won't help you if you don't cut out the bad things you are doing too.  Like high fat, smoking, drinking, no exercise, food from a box, etc.  Eat more fruits and vegetables and take some supplements.  Attack health from all angles.  Just my thoughts poorly written down.

JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

I learned from following NewLifeScience that if i can find more than one study published on the National Institute of Health. This has become my "go to" for current research on NMN, NAD+, Senolytics, berberine, CaAKG and anything else.

There are other periodicals (like the Lancet, and the New England Journal of Medicine) but these studies also appear here.

One study isn't enough for me... but several definitely get me thinking.
Newage

Post by Newage »

JanCOhio wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:34 am I learned from following NewLifeScience that if i can find more than one study published on the National Institute of Health. This has become my "go to" for current research on NMN, NAD+, Senolytics, berberine, CaAKG and anything else.

There are other periodicals (like the Lancet, and the New England Journal of Medicine) but these studies also appear here.

One study isn't enough for me... but several definitely get me thinking.

There are a multitude of studies out there focusing on supplements and longevity.
Sometimes we have to take a step back and take time to “smell the roses” on our longevity journeys and not become to obsessed with the outcome. Being overly concerned can do far more damage than the aging process itself.    :o

Urbanvets

Post by Urbanvets »

I find diet is the number 1 thing for health.  I have been on many.  Low fat, restricted calories, low carb., keto, mediterranean.
Throughout the years have followed health professionals, which haven't all equated to being healthier.  You can find articles that pretty much  say any food is healthy and unhealthy.  Even vegetables come under attack from having lectins.  It's hard to know what to eat even if you read all the literature.  Avocadoes good fat, or no fat is good?  Same for nuts? In the end, for me it's what I lose and maintain weight on, feel good on,  and what majority of articles not backed by any industry, support.  That comes down to mostly organic vegetarian diet, soy and beans as main protein, limited meat, dairy falling under organic free range, and mercury free/ low  fish . Maybe 1% processed foods, sugars limited to fruits and vegetables.  Grains limited to whole wheat and very reduced levels.  I enjoy vegetables, tofu so it helps.
TedB

Post by TedB »

Well, what has got my attention for the last couple of years is that there seems to have been a major breakthrough that has taken us beyond nutrition, with agents that can target key switches in our body and make us healthier, if not younger.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic