ExerciseHow many people are struggling to keep exercising?

ChrisBON

How many people are struggling to keep exercising?

Post by ChrisBON »

Well I am struggling to get back on the bandwagon with any exercising.. I have not been active for 4 months.

I figure if I tell someone, maybe i will face it... 

I have a treadmill and an old home gym. They are both unobstructed.

Anyone else need a push? Because I sure do. :|

Newage

Re: How many people are struggling to keep exercising?

Post by Newage »

ChrisBON wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:18 pm Well I am struggling to get back on the bandwagon with any exercising.. I have not been active for 4 months.

I think this pandemic has created a feeling
“of what’s the use” in the back of the mind of a lot of people.
I set a strict daily routine for exercise and lock those times in otherwise our way of thinking will most likely use the “get out clause”..
I will do it later or there’s a good show on TV, need to finish reading this book and so on...
so on.....
Throw Xmas and holidays into the mix and a missed exercise day becomes a week and then a month and before you know it exercise gets put to the back of our agendas..
Remember a fitter body will always be a healthier body, supplements can’t do it alone.
“Time to get back on the horse” as the saying goes..
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

ChrisBON wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:18 pm Well I am struggling to get back on the bandwagon with any exercising.. I have not been active for 4 months.

I know how you feel, I hate exercise, just sux politely :x that you have to get so dam uncomfortable to be able to then afterwards feel good, to be healthy! Some people strangely like exercise, I am not one of them :shock:

I struggled with it most of my life but the last 10-20 years 3 things that have finally sort of worked:
1. I have a social group that goes Mounting bike riding, 1-2 times per week.

2. I optimise exercise into my life
- Take and run/sprint up the stairs instead of the lift / escalators
- Don't care if I have to walk a little so take a park further away...
- Do my own gardening with some exercise in mind
- Row 2KM 3 times a week - Rowing is a great exercise for optimising - like 84% of your muscles are worked.  This was hard to lock in, can totally smash you. Last 4 years it's been locked in and today my upper-body and core strength have never been better in my life! Significantly less back and neck issues now as well.
- 1 min row sprints for some "HIT" if I am working from home 

3. Routine
It's not "optional" it has to happen so may as well lock it in. Fixed days/times have worked best for me. As Arnold S. say's Don't think. Do!

I am not there yet, the missing piece for me is more (to be honest a lot more :lol:) heavy resistance, that is weights, push ups, etc. Will get there...

Newage

Post by Newage »

From my experience of training Elite Athletes for many years the worst thing that they can do is take an extended break for whatever reason.
It is much better to “Soldier On” with your training and exercise relying on your competition taper and a couple of weeks off a year (barring injury.)
Invariably the Elite of the Elite more than often don’t make it back to their previous level (mind and body) after an extended break.   :roll:

OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I think a treadmill and home gym are boring.  Try to get outside and start walking, biking, or jogging.  The fresh air and sunshine makes a huge difference.  I haven't been in a gym for 15 years.  It gets tough in the extreme cold, but that's only a few days a year.  Most days are doable to at least walk if you are dressed well.  Alternative, do something like pickleball with other people.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

OMillsPA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 am I think a treadmill and home gym are boring.  Try to get outside and start walking, biking, or jogging.  The fresh air and sunshine makes a huge difference.  I haven't been in a gym for 15 years.  It gets tough in the extreme cold, but that's only a few days a year.  Most days are doable to at least walk if you are dressed well.  Alternative, do something like pickleball with other people.

Agree, boring like my rowing at home. Why I have a TV screen in front of me to distract and only do it for 7-8 Min, otherwise I would not do it!

Outside activities are great for us humans as well, we evolved to be outside (don't deny your evolution!), nature is energizing, fresh air and sun exposure.

There are also studies on brain health and outdoor trail runners who have healthier brains with more interconnections in their brains - as a result of when we deal with the complexity of combining physical exertion and dodging obstacles... again like our ancestors.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Any regular stress people are going through, and it seems a good number of people are caregivers as well, stress gets amplified dramatically due to the constant threat of this virus, the isolation involved and the apathy that will naturally come over you.

I do my best to keep exercising but with the sustained stress, I often just don't. 

But i am not going to get stressed about it right now. I am generally taking care of myself and i will do more when i feel like it.
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 »

The Best way I have found to continue a pattern of healthy level exercise that Dr. Sinclair describes as a "Surge type to breathlessness, like running away from a Sabre tooth Tiger", to trigger the NAD+ to awaken the cells memory to regenerate, is Remove the Idea of Exercising To Face and Commit to. Pickleball play does that for me. It's now an addictive effort to suit up and show up in the cold rainy winter weather, or hurricane summer, and meet 20-30 people who are doing the same , paddle in hand. It's a Social Obligation all are counting on. We just end up having a lot of Fun, stressed to breathlessness, and end up living to 100. Watch me!
Ben Pickleball101.
MJClark

Post by MJClark »

I had a similar situation for part of last year. So I signed up to run a Tough Mudder in August with some friends as a target goal and really started focus on training in June. I would set the coffee maker to auto-brew and would get up at 4:45 AM when my wife has to get up for work. I found that tracking and planning everything was essential, coffee was a necessity before workouts, and I tracked everything. 

Just learned yesterday that I have COVID, so I am taking a 5 day break on anything other than walking the dog. Next week I will get back into my routine. 
If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

I just make sure i get out for at least 20 minutes each day. Fresh air, some walking and something different for my eyes to see.

May try running again this spring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic