LongevityBook: "Supercharge Your Brain - How to Maintain a Healthy Brain Throughout Your Life"

OzSport

Book: "Supercharge Your Brain - How to Maintain a Healthy Brain Throughout Your Life"

Post by OzSport »

I missed this book when it came out in 2021, just finding out about it now for the first time!  I am not affiliated at all with the book or any of the websites - I came across it while googling for new books to read!   :)

The book's summary ad line from the Penguin website (noted below), states that it's:  "The definitive guide to keeping your brain healthy for a long and lucid life, by one of the world's leading scientists in the field of brain health and ageing."

The author is the  Director of Science and Research Impact at the Brain Health Network, which is an interesting site in itself:
https://brain.health/

Quick blurb about the book:
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/new ... dwin-book/

The book's actual website:
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/111 ... 33186.html

Boxcost

Re: Book: "Supercharge Your Brain - How to Maintain a Healthy Brain Throughout Your Life"

Post by Boxcost »

I am currently reading it. Mid-way through, highly recommend the book as a great tool to prepare and mitigate the aging onslaught to our brains. I will summarise a couple of key points for you all when I am finished.
jocko6889

Re: Book: "Supercharge Your Brain - How to Maintain a Healthy Brain Throughout Your Life"

Post by jocko6889 »

Interesting title but I wonder if he's up on all the latest anti-Aging supplements that help the nuerons like NAD+?  If it's just a recap of what we already know like exercise, good diet, and playing music then I would respectfully pass on it.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

jocko6889 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 pm Interesting title but I wonder if he's up on all the latest anti-Aging supplements that help the nuerons like NAD+?  If it's just a recap of what we already know like exercise, good diet, and playing music then I would respectfully pass on it.

Nope, not a mention of latest anti-Aging supplements in the book. Your right a lot of known stuff, but does cover off some interesting areas I had not really considered before. I am still gaining some good insights on the subject, basically the book covers things like:
-Exercise
-Diet plus lightly covers some known supplements like vitamin K, E, B6, etc.
-The gut brain connection - this part was very interesting...our second brain has 500 million neurons down there!
-Social i.e. "no one is an island"...I skipped this section
-Sex.. good to find out that more frequent sex is better for your brain, just finishing up this section...studying carefully :lol:
-Brain training looks interesting
-Sleep - yeah I just say Matthew  Walker.
-The feel good factor - this one feels obvious..

Newage

Post by Newage »

Good to know that more frequent sex is good for your brain Boxcost.
That must be why when I add 2+2.. I get 5  :shock:

jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

Boxcost wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:15 am
jocko6889 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 pm Interesting title but I wonder if he's up on all the latest anti-Aging supplements that help the nuerons like NAD+?  If it's just a recap of what we already know like exercise, good diet, and playing music then I would respectfully pass on it.

Nope, not a mention of latest anti-Aging supplements in the book. Your right a lot of known stuff, but does cover off some interesting areas I had not really considered before. I am still gaining some good insights on the subject, basically the book covers things like:
-Exercise
-Diet plus lightly covers some known supplements like vitamin K, E, B6, etc.
-The gut brain connection - this part was very interesting...our second brain has 500 million neurons down there!
-Social i.e. "no one is an island"...I skipped this section
-Sex.. good to find out that more frequent sex is better for your brain, just finishing up this section...studying carefully :lol:
-Brain training looks interesting
-Sleep - yeah I just say Matthew  Walker.
-The feel good factor - this one feels obvious..

The gut-brain connection. I keep bumping in to this topic. And i keep forgetting to act on it. The one thing I want to do is get my gut biome in top shape.

I do know the #1 thing to do is eat oatmeal to increase the presence of betaglucan, which helps make the right environment for the right bacteria. And the next best thing is the right kind of Probiotics. But if you make the right environment, the right bacteria will flourish.

Basically I am going to have a smallbit of oatmeal before bed 6 days a week, with no milk or sugar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic