Healthy Aging News and ResearchSecrets of Longevity: New Evidence from Rockfish

RenueSupport

Secrets of Longevity: New Evidence from Rockfish

Post by RenueSupport »

A new study of longevity in rockfish, which includes some species that live more than 200 years and others that live fewer than a dozen, identifies a set of genes controlling their aging process that has led to the discovery of a previously unappreciated group of genes associated with extended lifespan in humans.

Two major metabolic systems regulate lifespan in rockfish, the researchers found. One governs the insulin-signaling pathway that prior research has shown plays a major role in regulating the lifespan of many different animals. Finding that this pathway was a master regulator of rockfish longevity, too, was therefore an important validation of their research approach.

They also uncovered a previously unappreciated “flavonoid metabolism” pathway that regulates rockfish lifespan. The genetic variants associated with long life in rockfish, they found, are significantly correlated with the analogous variants present in the top one percent of longest-lived humans.

Full Article: https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2023/01 ... y-rockfish

drkris69

Re: Secrets of Longevity: New Evidence from Rockfish

Post by drkris69 »

Very interesting article, Crocodiles is a another animal that can live well over 150 yrs. Hopefully one day the science will catch up.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

Does anyone know about dementia?  My mom is dying from it.  It is terrible to watch.  I don't have the answers.  
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:01 pm Very interesting article, Crocodiles is a another animal that can live well over 150 yrs. Hopefully one day the science will catch up.

Big Crocodiles 🐊 over here in Aussie mate.
One of those big suckers and myself in a waterhole will definitely mean the Crocodile will out live me..  lol   :lol:

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

LOL, I think we will see things transpire in our life time. Im sure being optimistic. :!:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic