LongevityTaurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Boxcost

Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Post by Boxcost »

"Blood concentration of taurine declines with age in mice, monkeys, and humans."

"Taurine abundance decreases during aging. A reversal of this decline through taurine supplementation increases health span and life span in mice and worms and health span in monkeys. This identifies taurine deficiency as a driver of aging in these species. To test whether taurine deficiency is a driver of aging in humans as well, long-term, well-controlled taurine supplementation trials that measure health span and life span as outcomes are required"

See article:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abn9257

One to keep an eye on, anything that declines with age, that you can't get enough off from food is a supplementation target! :idea:

Newage

Re: Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging

Post by Newage »

Boxcost wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:10 pm "Blood concentration of taurine declines with age in mice, monkeys, and humans."

"Taurine abundance decreases during aging. A reversal of this decline through taurine supplementation increases health span and life span in mice and worms and health span in monkeys. This identifies taurine deficiency as a driver of aging in these species. To test whether taurine deficiency is a driver of aging in humans as well, long-term, well-controlled taurine supplementation trials that measure health span and life span as outcomes are required"

See article:

One to keep an eye on, anything that declines with age, that you can't get enough off from food is a supplementation target! :idea:

I agree Boxcost and thanks for the links.
The only problem is… as the supplement list gets longer and more time consuming, the days get shorter.
I still think that we also need to take time “to smell the roses”
so to speak..  :cry:
It has to be a Wellness Balance.

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Newage wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:29 pm
Boxcost wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:10 pm "Blood concentration of taurine declines with age in mice, monkeys, and humans."

See article:

I agree Boxcost and thanks for the links.
The only problem is… as the supplement list gets longer and more time consuming, the days get shorter.
I still think that we also need to take time “to smell the roses”
so to speak..  :cry:
It has to be a Wellness Balance.

Yeah the supplement list is longer than I ever imagined or expected it to be! I am not adding in taurine just yet.

Over my 20 year health journey I was adamant to get everything from food until 10 years ago when I was shocked by low Vitamin D on some blood works (even though I am outdoors, I eat foods with Vitamin D, but obviously not enough), so took on Vitamin D. Then 6 years later in 2019 inspired by Dr David Sinclair I began researching what declines naturally with age BUT you can't get back from food. I found Alive By Nature at the time, now Renue by Science at the time and well so could say the rest is history :)  My - Supplement list has expanded (or exploded :lol: )
 greatly over the last 4 years.

In addition it was also understanding my own baseline, so genetic testing, more regular / expanded blood tests and gut bacteria tests. It is amazing what you can find out about our own genes as an example and then how to use this information to target supplementation / food / lifestyle.

Since 2019 I have not been sick, caught a flu or COVID, nothing (OK one stomach bug/virus last year which kept me close the bathroom for a few days!) In the end today all health markers greatly improved, I am fitter, stronger AND supercharged every day! :D

RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

Boxcost wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:34 pm Over my 20 year health journey I was adamant to get everything from food until 10 years ago when I was shocked by low Vitamin D

That's the problem with modern agriculture - everything bred for size and ability to withstand pesticides and weedkillers etc without any regard to nutrition (profits before anything else), hence the nutritional value of food over time has plummeted. 
Furthermore, the body needs Selenium to absorb nutrients from food so if you are also low in Selenium then it's a negative double whammy. 
I'd suggest testing one's level of Selenium and supplementing (or eating Brazil nuts) if necessary. This in itself might then increase nutrient absorption so be able to lower (or in some cases remove) the need for other supplements. 

As for Taurine, it appears to be beneficial like a number of other amino acids like Glycine and Serine, and yet the likes of D. Sinclair and some others would recommend low or no meat diets - makes you wonder if its specifically the non-amino acid part of the meat that is the problem for longevity and health span. 
I feel even more inclined to cut back on meat consumption (keeping up the oily fish consumption) but to supplement with the likes of Taurine, Glycine and Serine. 
lizz

Post by lizz »

The study found taurine to be an attenuation of multiple hallmarks of aging so it really does seem like more than just another in a long list of supplements, even strongly improving sleep by increasing glycine and GABA to calm the brain and ease anxiety. Unfortunately difficult to absorb in high enough quantities through diet, meat or non-meat, alone but could be worth trying at least in powder form (until a RBS formulation :)) for a trial period, in conjunction with amino acid blood testing to measure progress, for those impacts alone.  :)

vauss88

Post by vauss88 »

Another study about Taurine in elderly women.

Taurine as a possible antiaging therapy: A controlled clinical trial on taurine antioxidant activity in women ages 55 to 70

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

Another about Taurine and Sarcopenia

The Beneficial Effects of Taurine to Counteract Sarcopenia

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6040170/

And a third about Taurine and mitochondria

The Role of Taurine in Mitochondria Health: More Than Just an Antioxidant

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8400259/

OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Interesting stuff, I had only heard of taurine being something in Red Bull / energy drinks!

Given that, I was curious as to why there is taurine in Red Bull / energy drinks, and I found this article:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2023 ... rgy-drinks

Long story short, don't start drinking heaps of energy drinks for longevity just yet!   :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic