NutritionNutrition science is broken. This new egg study shows why

nettlesbe
Site Admin

Nutrition science is broken. This new egg study shows why

Post by nettlesbe »

t’s been a tortuous path for the humble egg. For much of our history, it was a staple of the American breakfast — as in, bacon and eggs. Then, starting in the late 1970s and early 1980s, it began to be disparaged as a dangerous source of artery-clogging cholesterol, a probable culprit behind Americans’ exceptionally high rates of heart attack and stroke. Then, in the past few years, the chicken egg was redeemed and once again touted as an excellent source of protein, unique antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin, and many vitamins and minerals, including riboflavin and selenium, all in a fairly low-calorie package.

This March, a study published in JAMA put the egg back on the hot seat. It found that the amount of cholesterol in a bit less than two large eggs a day was associated with an increase in a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease and death by 17 percent and 18 percent, respectively. The risks grow with every additional half egg. It was a really large study, too — with nearly 30,000 participants — which suggests it should be fairly reliable.

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/27/nutrit ... y_partner/

smokinjoe

Re: Nutrition science is broken. This new egg study shows why

Post by smokinjoe »

Solution: have 1.7 eggs per day! :lol:
rhett

Post by rhett »

It turned out all humanity needed was better egg optimization science
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

nettlesbe wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:44 pm This March, a study published in JAMA put the egg back on the hot seat. It found that the amount of cholesterol in a bit less than two large eggs a day was associated with an increase in a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease and death by 17 percent and 18 percent, respectively. The risks grow with every additional half egg. It was a really large study, too — with nearly 30,000 participants — which suggests it should be fairly reliable.
That is a pretty high degree of statistical significance.

knowing that eggs come with good and bad cholesterol, i guess one a day is what should be recommended.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

If I stopped eating something every time some research reports poor health effects I would not be able to eat anything. Everything in moderation is actually a good slogan to live by.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Does some line of research start with the
“ egg or the chicken ”
Just eat the chicken!!
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Drdavid wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:06 pm If I stopped eating something every time some research reports poor health effects I would not be able to eat anything. Everything in moderation is actually a good slogan to live by.
Well said! I agree, everything in moderation.
Newage

Post by Newage »

You have to “earn” your calories.
If you want a coffee then run, walk or ride to the coffee shop to offset calorie intake..
Works for me.. :cry:
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I drink my coffee black so I can sit with my feet up and enjoy! :lol:

I totally agree with the "Everything in moderation" slogan

That being said I've been eating 3 large hard boiled eggs a day for the past 5 years and my cholesterol stats are as follows:

Total Cholesterol: 2.8 mmol/L ( Ideal <5.2mmol/L )
HDL (good cholesterol): 1.8 mmol/L ( Ideal >1.0 mmol/L )
LDL (bad cholesterol): 0.64 mmol/L ( Ideal <3.5 mmol/L )
Cholesterol Ratio: 1.6 mmol/L ( Ideal <5.0 mmol/L )

I am not saying It's healthy to eat 3 eggs a day but from the stats shown above, I am extremely happy with my cholesterol levels!

Any feedback is welcome
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Remember, cholesterol is key in the production of hormones. We need cholesterol in our diets.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic