NMNNMN for fertility: "NAD+ repletion rescues female fertility during reproductive ageing"

Fred

NMN for fertility: "NAD+ repletion rescues female fertility during reproductive ageing"

Post by Fred »

Dr David A Sinclair started a whole company, OvaScience, dedicated to using NMN (and/or derivatives) to help increase the success rate in IVF.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6030 ... otherhood/

Note: this study is pre-peer review so the final text may look different when published.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/721985v1

"Abstract

Female infertility is a common and devastating condition with life-long health, emotional and social consequences. There is currently no pharmacological therapy for preserving oocyte quality during aging, which is the strongest risk factor for infertility. This leads to an age dependent decline in natural conception and IVF success rates (1).

Here, we show that this is due in part to declining levels of the metabolic cofactor nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), and that restoring NAD+ levels with its metabolic precursor nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) rejuvenates oocyte quality and quantity in aged animals, leading
to improved fertility.

These benefits extend to the developing embryo, where NMN supplementation in embryo culture media following IVF enhances
blastocyst formation in older mice. The NAD+ dependent deacylase SIRT2 is sufficient, but not essential, to recapitulate the benefits of in vivo NMN treatment, and transgenic overexpression of SIRT2 maintains oocyte spindle assembly, accurate chromosome segregation, decreased oxidative stress and overall fertility with ageing.

Pharmacological elevation of NAD+ may be an effective, non-invasive strategy for restoring and maintaining female fertility during ageing, and for improving the success of IVF."

canadahealthy

Re: NMN for fertility: "NAD+ repletion rescues female fertility during reproductive ageing"

Post by canadahealthy »

So are we talking infertility from an early age? Or infertility due to middle age?

There doesn't seem to be any risk of taking NMN in pregnancy, since this is a substance that our bodies use every second. But i do not think there has been enough research or trial activity to make a claim.

Personally, i think I am safely in the quality of life and life extension camp and that is my sole reason for taking NMN. I do think that it is likely that a woman's fertility would last longer (her child bearing years would be greater) were she to take NMN regularly before reaching menopause.

There certainly 1000s of branches of research opening up - essentially any condition due to aging. It is mind numbing to think of all the applications.

When ever I read an article with Dr. Sinclair, it seems he is also taking Resveratrol. Are most people taking both?
Fred

Re: NMN for fertility: "NAD+ repletion rescues female fertility during reproductive ageing"

Post by Fred »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am So are we talking infertility from an early age? Or infertility due to middle age?
Dr. Sinclair discussed infertility due to age as a target for their experimental NAD precursor treatment.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am
When ever I read an article with Dr. Sinclair, it seems he is also taking Resveratrol. Are most people taking both?
'Haven't been taking reservatrol in pill form, but have been drinking some red wine each week! ;)
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

OzSport wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:44 pm
canadahealthy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am
'Haven't been taking reservatrol in pill form, but have been drinking some red wine each week! ;)
It's pretty easy to get ahold of it, and it isn't that expensive. This version is 400 mg per pill, so 60 pills could last you 2 months.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vorst-Resveratrol ... 075FXPYSR/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic