NutritionAge-related hair loss and vitamin E

Macrobian

Re: Age-related hair loss and vitamin E

Post by Macrobian »

Glo, thank you for sharing your story - do the products that you used contain any specific compounds whose efficacy has been reported in scientific literature? If they do and they can be obtained through diet please feel free to start a new topic. The Nutrition section of the forum is devoted to dietary interventions in ageing - thank you for your understanding!

toriamac

Post by toriamac »

I haven’t tried tocotrienols, but I take 400 iu of mixed tocopherol Vitamin E daily.
At my age (almost 70), my hair is thinner than it use to be.
I started adding 10,000 iu of Biotin daily, a couple of years ago and my hair started coming back.
It’s still thinner than 10 years ago, but it’s not as thin as it was two years ago.
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

There is very limited evidence regarding biotin's effectiveness in treating hair loss but that is great you have seen improvements! If you need any laboratory testing it is worth remembering that such high doses can lead to false results (so it is best to inform your doctor before any tests). Vide Lipner 2018 for an explanation of the problems associated with a high biotin intake.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

I've used minoxydil with good success the last 2 years. I've also used microneedling (aka derma roller) for the last year on my face and neck to stimulate new collagen growth. A study came out a few years ago that actually combined these two (minoxydil and microneedling) with great results.

There were two groups - one using only minoxydil and the other using minoxydil combined with microneedling. The second group showed significantly more new hair growth. In the 12 week test, the second group used a 1.5mm derma roller on their scalp once per week. I've just ordered one on eBay and am going to mimic the study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... n_sectitle

-
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

That is a great study, thanks for sharing! Do you know any studies showing that microneedling promotes collagen growth?
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Below are a couple of links. For the most part, you'll use shorter microneedles, 0.5mm in length, especially on the face. It's mildly painful but not too bad. You should not overuse it as it could cause the opposite effect, destroying collagen. To be safe, I use it once every three weeks on the face. There are tons of helpful youtube videos if you search for derma roller. You can buy them on ebay for cheap. Get the 540 needle rollers made of titanium for under $10. They use longer needles of 1.5mm in the hair regrowth study on the scalp and once per week. This would be more painful but again, tolerable in my opinion. They're not interested in collagen production but stimulating hair cells to grow again.

https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/micron ... -benefits/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4976400/
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

jocko6889 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:47 pm Below are a couple of links. For the most part, you'll use shorter microneedles, 0.5mm in length, especially on the face. It's mildly painful but not too bad. You should not overuse it as it could cause the opposite effect, destroying collagen. To be safe, I use it once every three weeks on the face. There are tons of helpful youtube videos if you search for derma roller. You can buy them on ebay for cheap. Get the 540 needle rollers made of titanium for under $10. They use longer needles of 1.5mm in the hair regrowth study on the scalp and once per week. This would be more painful but again, tolerable in my opinion. They're not interested in collagen production but stimulating hair cells to grow again.

https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/micron ... -benefits/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4976400/
I am going to try the 0.75mm around the hair line. Do you think this will work or does it need to be deeper? I cant see it hurting...
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Isn't rice bran oil the best source for these compounds?
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:25 pm
I am going to try the 0.75mm around the hair line. Do you think this will work or does it need to be deeper? I cant see it hurting...
075mm is a good length but how will you really know what you might have gotten if you had replicated the study exactly? This is why I'm starting out by following the study. If it works well I can always drop down in length to see if I get the same results. If it doesn't work I'll know a shorter length won't work either. Just my opinion.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

jocko6889 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:25 pm
075mm is a good length but how will you really know what you might have gotten if you had replicated the study exactly? This is why I'm starting out by following the study. If it works well I can always drop down in length to see if I get the same results. If it doesn't work I'll know a shorter length won't work either. Just my opinion.
I will ask you if it worked or not :lol:

Very true, I will upgrade if i can withstand the pain lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic