NutritionAge-related hair loss and vitamin E

Vandevalk1

Re: Age-related hair loss and vitamin E

Post by Vandevalk1 »

With this in mind, it is basically pointless to derma roll as I work outside every day and em exposed to the sun.

Newage

Post by Newage »

By the amount of interest in the topic, hair loss is an important issue. I am fortunate enough to still have a full head of hair at nearly 70, but I feel for people going through the hair loss process. Something else we take for granted until it is no longer there.. :roll:
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 pm With this in mind, it is basically pointless to derma roll as I work outside every day and em exposed to the sun.
Wear a cap/hat and sunscreen daily and reapply 2-3 times during the day and you'll preserve your skin in the current condition for many years + you can repair it with topical vitamin A (tretinoin or retinol). You can also dermaroll but vitamin A cream is more effective frankly.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Newage

Lucky for you, you have low levels of an enzyme called 5 alpha-Reductase which converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which burns out hair follicles.

Here's a short video of the science on hair loss and some tips to reduce DHT on the scalp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxnFvdPZ8M
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 pm Newage

Lucky for you, you have low levels of an enzyme called 5 alpha-Reductase which converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which burns out hair follicles.

Here's a short video of the science on hair loss and some tips to reduce DHT on the scalp.

That is an over-simplification of male pattern hairloss though. It's not just about DHT, even though the companies that sell anti-DHT topicals sure want us to believe that.

Also take note that the person calling himself "Dr" in the video is not a real medical doctor.

He is a non-practising chiropractor who uses ketogenic diets to treat "everything", despite the lack of evidence doing so.
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

I agree with Fred, balding is not just about the levels of DHT, it has a lot to do with the sensitivity to DHT which varies a lot depending on one's DNA. Then there are also environmental factors such as stress, diet etc. Some ethnicities are more prone to it than others and there can be quite a lot of variation even within one population.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Fred wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:27 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 pm With this in mind, it is basically pointless to derma roll as I work outside every day and em exposed to the sun.
Wear a cap/hat and sunscreen daily and reapply 2-3 times during the day and you'll preserve your skin in the current condition for many years + you can repair it with topical vitamin A (tretinoin or retinol). You can also dermaroll but vitamin A cream is more effective frankly.
Hi Fred,
So do you recommend Vitamin A cream for hair loss? Or skin repair?
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Fred wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 pm Newage

That is an over-simplification of male pattern hairloss though. It's not just about DHT, even though the companies that sell anti-DHT topicals sure want us to believe that.

Also take note that the person calling himself "Dr" in the video is not a real medical doctor.

He is a non-practising chiropractor who uses ketogenic diets to treat "everything", despite the lack of evidence doing so.
Fair enough,
But I’m sure these diet tips can only help right?
Fred

Post by Fred »

canadahealthy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am
Fred wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:27 pm
Hi Fred,
So do you recommend Vitamin A cream for hair loss? Or skin repair?
Hi,
We should perhaps have a "Skin and hair"-section in the forum for simplicity. Tretinoin or retinol is for skin repair (collagen, elastin and GAGs). Tretinoin is also sometimes used in hair-preservation formulas as a penetration enhancer for the drug minoxidil.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm We should perhaps have a "Skin and hair"-section in the forum for simplicity. Tretinoin or retinol is for skin repair (collagen, elastin and GAGs). Tretinoin is also sometimes used in hair-preservation formulas as a penetration enhancer for the drug minoxidil.
Hey Fred, is the retinol in this instance in pill form as well? or in serums?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic