Healthy Aging News and ResearchAnyone is taking rapamycin or metformin?

AlbertY

Anyone is taking rapamycin or metformin?

Post by AlbertY »

Just wondering is there anyone here also take rapamycin or metformin?

I used to work on rapamycin for a while, and recently I happened to peek some unpublish data in Harvard (mouse study) indicate that rapamycin might work differently compares to other "anti-aging drug" (e.g. acarbose, metformin, dietary restriction, NAD+ precursor). And notably, rapamycin is doing very well for treating individual at a late-stage of life. Check Dr. Matt Kaeberlein's work for more information!

Though I personally very hesitate to introduce rapamycin to any friends or family, although it is currently the most powerful anti-aging drug we have. Because it is immunosuppressive, and therefore might be a little dangerous. Dr. Kaeberlein suggests using a lower dose in a periodic manner might help tho, currently, he has a trial for dog and human. Check the dog aging project.

Metformin is definitely more recommendable. It's less powerful but much safer. It works through activating AMPK. You can find more information on AFAR-managed Targeting Aging with Metformin (TAME) trial website.

Anyway, I just considering whether it is worthwhile to introduce my really old family member rapamycin. Also check this article "Rapamycin and Alzheimer’s disease: Time for a clinical trial?" https://stm-sciencemag-org.ezp-prod1.hu ... 6/eaar4289

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
canadahealthy

Re: Anyone is taking rapamycin or metformin?

Post by canadahealthy »

I have heard about the benefits of metformin... i think it keeps your blood glucose levels in check.. but i am pretty sure you need a prescription and a case of diabetes to get it.

what would i tell my doctor? i want to live longer, can i get some metformin?

Are there other legit ways to get it.

I had a quick glance at rapamyicin and it seems to be an immuno-suppressant. I don't see the benefit to taking that.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

Just reading Wikipedia about Rapamycin, or Sirolimus it looks downright dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirolimus

I am also curious how people manage to get metformin.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

canadahealthy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 pm I have heard about the benefits of metformin... i think it keeps your blood glucose levels in check.. but i am pretty sure you need a prescription and a case of diabetes to get it.

what would i tell my doctor? i want to live longer, can i get some metformin?

Are there other legit ways to get it.

I had a quick glance at rapamyicin and it seems to be an immuno-suppressant. I don't see the benefit to taking that.
Yes, metformin is promising. I talked with Dr. Amy Wagers today, and she said currently three most promising anti-aging drugs are NAD boosters, senolytics, and metformin. I totally agree with her.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

CeeJayBee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm Just reading Wikipedia about Rapamycin, or Sirolimus it looks downright dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirolimus

I am also curious how people manage to get metformin.
Yes, it is dangerous, but it is also the most powerful. Bitto et al. show that treating mice with rapamycin for a short period during middle age increases the life expectancy of the mice by up to 60%. No other treatment can achieve this dramatic increase in lifespan up to now.

There is also a new category of drug called rapalog, which might be safer. Dr. Matt Kaeberlein is trying to promote rapalogs as an anti-aging treatment. They have a very big dog aging project that treats dogs with rapamycin. Up to now, the result is quite promising.
biohacker112

Post by biohacker112 »

I get cramps and loose stools when I take Metformin. Wish I could take it but I can't.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

No Doctor will or should hand out a prescription for metformin just because you ask for it. You’ll have to be able to convince your doctor that the drug will be beneficial for your well being. Educate yourself on the drug. Do your research into all the health benefits of it and how’s it’s not just for patients with diabetes. Most general practitioners won’t have an amazing understanding of the drug in the first place and will most likely be apprehensive to hand out a drug that both you and them know little about. If you do your research and are able to convince them that you know what you’re talking about, it should be attainable.
glo

Post by glo »

I bought heaps of metformin from Uk online. Read it blocked angiogenesis.
I was on seratide aka prednisone puffer for allergic asthma for 12 years, WRONG finally got duckduckgo and now prescribed Intal with zero side effects, means the drug ate prefrontal cortex, muscle, endothelium which means small capillaries which means eaten arm muscles.
So I want the NMN angiogenesis and great endothelial recovery. Thats an important rat enjoyed consequence of NMN. More capillaries in brain and muscle.
So not taking it.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

biohacker112 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:21 am I get cramps and loose stools when I take Metformin. Wish I could take it but I can't.
Unfortunately, this is a reported possible side-effect
Youvion

Post by Youvion »

In Thailand you can buy Metformin over the counter, no questions asked. You can also buy a lot of other prescription drugs including antibiotics which some Thais pop like aspirin whenever they don't feel well leading to antibiotic resistance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic