NutritionLutein combats cognitive decline

Macrobian

Lutein combats cognitive decline

Post by Macrobian »

Lutein, a carotenoid found primarily in green leafy vegetables, have long been known to support correct vision and prevent age-related macular degeneration. What is less known is that it can prevent - and even reverse - cognitive decline associated with ageing. Interestingly, lutein preferentially accumulates in the brain. In the brains of centenarians lutein accounts for ∼35% of total carotenoids although it makes up only ∼20% of the carotenoids in matched serum. You can read a great summary of what we currently know about lutein in this paper published in June by Stringham et al. - Lutein across the Lifespan: From Childhood Cognitive Performance to the Aging Eye and Brain.

This talk by Dr Elizabeth J. Johnson is also very informative and exciting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLwroqglMg (sorry, I cannot seem to be able to embed the video)

Most studies look at the supplementation of 6-20 mg of lutein and zeaxanthin per day. By comparison, American adults consume 1-2 mg per day and adolescents consume only 0.3-0.5 mg (!). The good news is that obtaining sufficient amount of lutein through diet is very simple - 1 cup of cooked spinach contains 29.8 mg of lutein and zeaxanthin. Do you consume at least 6 mg of lutein per day? If you decide to improve your lutein intake, I would be very much interested in reading about the effects you will notice in terms of vision, cognition and skin health.

NewLifeScience

Re: Lutein combats cognitive decline

Post by NewLifeScience »

This concept doesn't surprise me, since there are often parallels between the eye and the brain.

For example, glaucoma is often referred to ask Alzheimer's of the eye.

And for the most part what is good for the eye is good for the brain (beta-carotene), fatty acids ...
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

So is this the same Lutein you can get off the shelf at a pharmacy shelf?
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Yes this can be bought off the shelf or in many commercial vitamins but it is much better to get naturally because of the symbiotic nature it has with other vitamins and minerals.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

edible sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutein

Product Lutein/zeaxanthin
(micrograms per 100 grams)
nasturtium (yellow flowers, lutein levels only) 45,000 [25]
pot marigold (yellow and orange flowers, lutein levels only) 29,800
kale (raw) 39,550
kale (cooked) 18,246
dandelion leaves (raw) 13,610
nasturtium (leaves, lutein levels only) 13,600 [25]
turnip greens (raw) 12,825
spinach (raw) 12,198
spinach (cooked) 11,308
swiss chard (raw or cooked) 11,000
turnip greens (cooked) 8440
collard greens (cooked) 7694
watercress (raw) 5767
garden peas (raw) 2593
romaine lettuce 2312
zucchini (courgettes) 2125
brussels sprouts 1590
pistachio nuts 1205
broccoli 1121
carrot (cooked) 687
maize/corn 642
egg (hard boiled) 353
avocado (raw) 271
carrot (raw) 256
kiwifruit 122
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Macrobian wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:39 am Lutein, a carotenoid found primarily in green leafy vegetables, have long been known to support correct vision and prevent age-related macular degeneration. What is less known is that it can prevent - and even reverse - cognitive decline associated with ageing. Interestingly, lutein preferentially accumulates in the brain. In the brains of centenarians lutein accounts for ∼35% of total carotenoids although it makes up only ∼20% of the carotenoids in matched serum. You can read a great summary of what we currently know about lutein in this paper published in June by Stringham et al. - Lutein across the Lifespan: From Childhood Cognitive Performance to the Aging Eye and Brain.

This talk by Dr Elizabeth J. Johnson is also very informative and exciting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLwroqglMg (sorry, I cannot seem to be able to embed the video)

Most studies look at the supplementation of 6-20 mg of lutein and zeaxanthin per day. By comparison, American adults consume 1-2 mg per day and adolescents consume only 0.3-0.5 mg (!). The good news is that obtaining sufficient amount of lutein through diet is very simple - 1 cup of cooked spinach contains 29.8 mg of lutein and zeaxanthin. Do you consume at least 6 mg of lutein per day? If you decide to improve your lutein intake, I would be very much interested in reading about the effects you will notice in terms of vision, cognition and skin health.
I definitely receive my share of lutein each and every day. my morning smoothie alone had a cup of spinach and a cup of kale in it plus a host of other ingredients. my dinners always have broccoli asparagus, green beens, bok choy in it.

I've always had decent skin health. I've been pretty lucky there. I believe my cognition is improving slowly but surly. my vision is a tough one. I've had 3 concussions in the past 4 years and most definitely my vision had diminished drastically. focusing in from a far distance to a close distance is hard, even reading the text on my computer screen is tough. however I do believe it is on the mend.

I never associated it with the lutein and zeaxanthin though...
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

Drdavid wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 pm Yes this can be bought off the shelf or in many commercial vitamins but it is much better to get naturally because of the symbiotic nature it has with other vitamins and minerals.
What vitamins and minerals do you have in mind that work well with lutein and zeaxanthin? I also prefer to obtain as many nutrients from diet as possible but I know that realistically it is not always possible (at least for me).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic