ExerciseVoluntary running can counteract aging!

AlbertY

Voluntary running can counteract aging!

Post by AlbertY »

Voluntary exercise normalizes the proteomic landscape in muscle and brain and improves the phenotype of progeroid mice
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10. ... 8k.twitter

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
canadahealthy

Re: Voluntary running can counteract aging!

Post by canadahealthy »

AlbertY wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:38 pm Voluntary exercise normalizes the proteomic landscape in muscle and brain and improves the phenotype of progeroid mice
That phrase immediately made me picture INvoluntary running, which i can't stop laughing about.

I am one of those on-again, off-again runners. To avoid unnecessary shock to my joints ( i am 6'1" and 225 lbs) i use a treadmll with power incline. Once i get going it does get addictive, but i have learned to take 2 non-consecutive off days or slow days.

One thing i wonder... there is a target heart rate depending on age. I wonder if after 6 months of my NMN/Resveratrol regimen if i dare take my heart rate to a higher one, perhaps to the one for the previous decade...
Newage

Post by Newage »

canadahealthy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:40 am
AlbertY wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:38 pm Voluntary exercise normalizes the proteomic landscape in muscle and brain and improves the phenotype of progeroid mice
That phrase immediately made me picture INvoluntary running, which i can't stop laughing about.

I am one of those on-again, off-again runners. To avoid unnecessary shock to my joints ( i am 6'1" and 225 lbs) i use a treadmll with power incline. Once i get going it does get addictive, but i have learned to take 2 non-consecutive off days or slow days.

One thing i wonder... there is a target heart rate depending on age. I wonder if after 6 months of my NMN/Resveratrol regimen if i dare take my heart rate to a higher one, perhaps to the one for the previous decade...
Always check with your cardiologist, as everyone’s heart is different but from a coaching point of view, there is a place for heart rate monitors but sometimes they act like a bungee cord and restrict or stop us from training at our full potential..
FitandHealthyinAZ

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ »

There was a time where if you saw me running, you'd need to call the cops 'cuz someone was chasing me! Then I began to do research on running for guys approaching 60 and was astounded to learn that joint and ligament problems are in fact not issues. Research shows the benefits of running for "seasoned" folks are pretty much the same as those for everyone: reduced risk of developing heart disease, hypertension, cancer and diabetes, enhanced weight control, improved mobility, better coordination and a psychological sense of well being. Here's a great read from Science Daily, shedding light on an additional unexpected benefit of running or jogging in older adults: https://bit.ly/2mLhfL5
rhett

Post by rhett »

canadahealthy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:40 am
Usually people just use the age formula for max heart rate, but that won’t work if you’re planning on being healthier than average for your age. Here’s a post about how to find your personal max heart rate: https://www.polar.com/blog/calculate-ma ... e-running/
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

220-Age for me =190.

This is generally where I am at using my HR monitor on my wrist watch. Although I always question the integrity of these devices as it is not gathering the information at the source (heart). Polar devices have the chest strap and believe this gives you the most accurate results. To me though it’s a bit too cumbersome and extra work to use this.

How do other people feel about the wrist monitors and their accuracy?
Last edited by Vandevalk1 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 am 220-Age for me =190.

This is generally where I am at using my HR monitor on my writer watch. Although I always question the integrity of these devices as it is not gathering the information at the source (heart). Polar devices have the chest strap and believe this gives you the most accurate results. To me though it’s a bit too cumbersome and extra work to use this.

How do other people feel about the wrist monitors and their accuracy?
The problem that I have encountered with a lot of heart rate monitors is there inaccurate readings when training. They can spike if you run past someone or say for example, you are on a treadmill next to someone also with a monitor on. The chest strap is definitely more accurate but the only true reliable result is by way of a 24 hour Holter Monitor. It measures the HR for 24 hours and downloads to graph results including exercise and intense training phase.
I have used them on athletes to get exact HR readings for the full 24 hours including training and resting ( sleeping ) phases.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Wow! I had no clue they could pick up other HR monitors by mistake!
This Holter monitor sounds like it may be expensive.
That being said, so was my wrist watch :lol:
Newage

Post by Newage »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 am Wow! I had no clue they could pick up other HR monitors by mistake!
This Holter monitor sounds like it may be expensive.
That being said, so was my wrist watch :lol:
Over here you can hire them for the 24 hour period through pathology outlets or your doctor can request it, then it is free.
Pathology also download it into graph form and you keep your own exercise diary for the same period to coincide with the download.
It is a little cumbersome as you have electrode patches to the chest and heart. More a “one”
off test but extremely accurate and very good determining how fast your HR comes back down after peaking due to sustained effort.
This is an important guide to your fitness levels and your general heart health...
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

A little bit off topic but just something that I always follow;
Try not to excessively raise your heart rate within 2-3 hours before bed. It can make it very difficult for your body to produce melatonin and fall asleep. For me I save my intense workouts for the morning or right after work and stretch and do yoga before bed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic