Bioage TestingAnyone do methylation clock testing?

Deleted User 15772

Anyone do methylation clock testing?

Post by Deleted User 15772 »

I became intrigued by methylation/ Horvath clock testing after reading David Sinclair’s new book. Has anyone tried it out? Seems like the main testing provider is: https://www.mydnage.com/

jocko6889

Re: Anyone do methylation clock testing?

Post by jocko6889 »

Yes, I took the Mydnage.com test recently and am waiting on results. This would be my third bioage test. I've already taken the Insidetracker.com InnerAge blood test for 5 biomarkers of aging and the Teloyears.com test, which tests for average telomere length.
rhett

Post by rhett »

Would love to hear how your test turns out. Was thinking about doing one myself but couldn't get a sense of whether it would be actually useful.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Might be a few weeks but I'll post the results when I get them. My feeling is the amount of methylation on DNA is probably the truest test of your bioage.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Jocko, would you mind expanding on the methylation concept of aging for the forum? This is an important topic that I think people need to hear about.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

As we age, extraneous methylation forms on the DNA through smoking, too much sun, poor diet, lack of exercise, etc. clouding the original information, like scratches on a CD. Over time the cell may not resemble, say a liver cell anymore and may look more like a mixture of difference cells. Testing the amount of methylation is like seeing how many scratches are on the CD, finding out how well your body can still play the original music as intended.
rhett

Post by rhett »

Something that was a realization for me was that every cell in your body has the exact same DNA.

But the reason a heart cell is a heart cell and not a skin cell is due to methylation.

Methylation is what tells a cell to express certain genes while keeping others silent.

There are also variations of the type of heart cell characteristics a given person's cells can have, also due to methylation.

Over time, methylation gets corrupted. You start getting all kinds of weird errors where incorrect genes are getting turned on and correct genes are getting turned off. Over time, your heart cells are forgetting how to be good heart cells. And all the other cells too.

Horvath figured out how to measure the corruption in the methylation information and from that, figure out your age.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

All this talk of methylation and aging made me think of this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3482848/
It is a great read for anyone studying antiaging
rhett

Post by rhett »

Ordered a test kit from mydnage today (the blood test version). I'll let you all know how it goes!

I had been thinking about it, but the thing that pushed me over the edge was that I found a coupon code on this site: https://www.wethrift.com/mydnage that worked and took 20% off the total.
Newage

Post by Newage »

rhett wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 pm Ordered a test kit from mydnage today (the blood test version). I'll let you all know how it goes!

I had been thinking about it, but the thing that pushed me over the edge was that I found a coupon code on this site: https://www.wethrift.com/mydnage that worked and took 20% off the total.
Interesting rhett.
Don’t forget to post your results with your real age as a comparison and how hard your life has “been lived”
Depending on your genetics this can have a significant bearing on the results
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic